Hi everyone! New diver from Long Island NY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ericg753

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone,

Just got PADI open water certified in November, going for my very first dive this Saturday in West Palm Beach, FL with Jim Abernethy's Scuba Adventures. Anyone ever hear of them? Rep?

Trained for my cert at Seascapes USA in Syosset, picked up a Scubapro Aladin 2G dive computer (included on the " instrument panel" (sorry still a little rusty with terminology), as well as Scubapro reg and octo. Renting a bc (weight integrated), dry suit and camera....

I'll be perfectly honest, I'm very excited but also a bit nervous. During my open water dives for my test, went out approx. 100 feet and 20 ft down. Been 3 months since I did this, reading up right now on the PADI online course to refresh my training. Also, the Aladin 2G dive computer has a 73 page online manual that....well....sounds like another language to me. I understand most of what is being discussed but just seems way overcomplicated....am I overthinking this and getting concerned for no reason, or should I be more familiar with what I was told a simple operation by the person that sold me the computer and possibly cancel the dive?

I told the dive company I am going with that I am brand new to diving and want to take it very easy my first time. Not sure if this is common for newbies or am I just being over-concerned.

Anyway, I'm sure it all will go well...everyone is still here and telling their stories! LOL

Looking forward to posting my first pics here and on FB.

Eric G

Welcome to SB and the world of diving. Enjoy it!

Enjoy dives in St. Pete, but I do not think you need to rent drysuit- a 3 mil. wetsuit should be fine. I would not use a drysuit if I were you unless you have been trained in drysuit diving, plus you are using a different bc and new computer, just take it slow and follow divemaster instructions on boat.

Welcome aboard! The main thing you want to do at this stage is just get used to being in the water and dealing with the equipment. This can not be taught in a course, you just have to put in the hours underwater. Keep it as simple as possible, just use the minimum amount of equipment you are comfortable with. A wetsuit should be fine and less complicated then dealing with a dry suit. I would recommend you stick to shallow water dives only to start, say 30' to 40' max, the shallower you are the longer you can stay and you need the hours at this point. Line up a few ops in the area in the event your first choice is going deeper then you want to that day. You will not need a computer for this type of diving or even a depth gauge if you are in a location where you can not get deeper then 40', so the only things you will need to watch is your SPG and your time. I am not a fan of integrated weights, I would rather the weight be on a belt that can be easily dropped if needed but if this is how you were trained stick with that for now. In fact stay as close to how you were trained and the equipment that was used so you will have as few new things to deal with as possible.

PS: If you want to start with a beach dive or two first there is an inland place not too far from where you are staying called Blue Heron Bridge. If you start there you will be able to adjust the amount of weights you need before you go out on a dive boat for the first time. So there will be one less thing you need to deal with when you get out there. Go to the Florida section here and there is an entire thread dedicated to diving that location where you may also be able to find a buddy to dive with as well.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your warm welcomes!

Rich,

My flight yesterday was cancelled due to weather conditions in NY (dense fog), flying out this afternoon and managed to move the dive date from today to Monday. Depth, the guide was stating, is 60-65 feet, 2 tank dive. I'm reviewing the PADI online course for quick tip reminders. I got pretty good at buoyancy and got very comfortable quickly when I was in the ocean (shore dive for open water test), on the way back in on my 4th dive I went back down to the floor and swam in so I could have a chance to examine any sea life (not much to see in the murky LI waters in November except some krill and hermit crabs).

I guess what got me nervous was the 73 page manual I started reading for my dive computer....I've heard of certain terms but it all seemed like Mandarin Chinese! Spoke with my dive instructor, told me the dive computer has all the features I will need when one day I get to advanced diving, but not to worry about it for now. The guide for my upcoming dive said the same thing, assured me I will be in good hands and, after reading their reviews, trust them. I feel a bit more at ease, will be even better once I finally get back in the water and start to slowly descend.

Only thing I'm not 100% sure of (I will find out Monday morning) is, if it's a 60-65 foot dive, if I don't feel 100% comfortable going that far down, can I tell them to hang out with me at let's say 40 feet? Going to pick up a rental SeaLife camera for picture taking, will be uploading Monday night!

Thanks for the advice and support!

Eric

Camera is a distraction and too much task loading for a new diver. Go diving, look at other peoples pictures.

Wait on the camera until after you have many more dives. Concentrate on your diving and have fun. Make sure your dive computer is set on 21% O2 ( Air ).

Why not start with a couple of shallow( >40' ) shore dives?

I would recommend a dive computer speciality course.

You both have a good point. I was figuring simple point and shoot with the dive camera, however I'm not familiar with them at all and there may be more to it. Going to ditch the camera.

I'm going to call the Dive center tomorrow ask them if okay I can dive up to 40' on this dive, or give me another one that goes shallower. Thanks again!

They are not going to hang out with you at 40' if the bottom is at 65' and after a short time you will not want to do that either. There is nothing wrong with going to 60'-65' other then it will be a shorter, somewhat darker and slightly less visibility dive. My recommendation for shallower dive is to get you more time in the water in a less stress prone situation. The shore dive option is always there and there are shallow reefs close to shore in that area in the 30'-40' range that can also be done off a boat. I would also recommend forgetting the camera to start with, try to keep this as simple as possible until you start to used to being underwater.

Just noticed some of you have 5,000+ dives??? Geez how long have you been diving? :) I'll get there one day....starting mid-way into my life but doesn't mean I can't get a bunch in! Enjoying this a lot, can't wait to see the ocean life!

---------- Post added February 22nd, 2014 at 01:48 PM ----------

Understood Rich, thank you. I'm a bit nervous about a deep(er) dive to be honest (can't you tell LOL). But all kidding aside I will see if they have a shore dive or shallower boat dive option that day, otherwise will look into another company.

Back
Top Bottom