Hey SCUBA gear heads - best regulator for under $1,000 = ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last edited:
ooops.

yes what you are told is false, and I dont sell pistons

I'll just tear out that page of notes I took in my HOG reg service class.

You ain't seen nothing yet!
We better cool out jets Coonass or next time we may get more than just split posts :wink:

So it is false that a high-performance piston reg needs to be tuned often to maintain that level of performance for which one presumably spent a lot of money?

As a data point: Bob Hollis gave me a Oceanic Omega when it was just introduced and said "beat it up and let me know how it fails". The first failure was the piston first stage due to IP creep to 160 PSI... after 27 years of no service other than rinsing. I regularly inspected it and checked the IP before each day of diving after the first 10 years and started to carry a spare after 15 years. I sent it back to Oceanic... they replaced the first stage, hose, cleaned and replaced soft-goods in the second stage, and shipped it back. The first stage had more time in the water because I used it on a bailout bottle connected to a hat during commercial dives.

They could have serviced the first stage but I think they wanted to keep it.

Last edited:
You can't go wrong with all metal 2nd stages.. You don't need to spend a $1000.00 to get a great regulator set.. I don't have any regulator set built after 1982...:rofl3: But, The troubles they had in the "new" plastic 2nd stages years ago have been fixed... Unless you plan on diving deep, As in way past 130' any mid range set will do just fine..

Jim..

Unless you plan on diving deep, As in way past 130' any mid range set will do just fine..

Even that is more aggressive than necessary:

It is been hard to buy a bad regulator for a long time thanks to the required compliance with EU standards and most also test against the more demanding US Navy requirements.

There is one advantage for new divers using regulators with unbalanced first and second stages (that still meet EU standards), besides being less expensive. High performance balanced regulators allow you to breathe a tank down to virtually empty with almost no warning. You will sense progressively increased breathing resistance on an unbalanced between 300 and 500 PSI. The difference can be 20-30 breaths allowing time to safely surface or find your buddy's octo versus 1-2 breaths.

I suggest that you rent a unbalanced regulator and intentionally breath a tank down to empty in a swimming pool shallow enough to stand up in. They would probably let you do it in a dive shop but a pool is better. First, it is a good experience to know what it feels like. Second it will either reinforce that spending more money is better overall or not. Getting distracted, loosing sight of your buddy, or forgetting your training shouldn't be a death sentence.

ANY regulator on the market today has safe breathing resistance down to 165'/40M...

I have no reservation diving an unbalanced first and second stage that meets EU regulations to 165'/50M. As described above, there is a serious argument in favor of these least expensive regulators for new and infrequent divers.

Last edited:
Even that is more aggressive that necessary:

I have no reservation diving an unbalanced first and second stage that meets EU regulations to 165'/50M. As described above, there is a serious argument in favor of these least expensive regulators for new and infrequent divers.

Me neither. A Scubapro Mk2 + R195 is going to be in my Top 5 if I'm looking for a real good, brand new, dependable kit for recreational diving so I'm going to put the money saved toward a trip to warm water and this set does conform to EN 250: 2014 (rated 50m depth) 164 ft

I could get this set for 300.00 USD NIB. (+/- 50.00)

I'd pull the trigger as well on a close out deal such as the one going on right now from Amaz** and Divers Supply. 230.00USD for an Aqua Lung Titan set. 1 left in stock. That's a steal. Free shipping? nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom