Hey SCUBA gear heads - best regulator for under $1,000 = ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sarahlee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi gear head divers,

OK - simple gear question....

I dive southern pacific, easy rec dives, never usually going below 100ft. (no ice cold - super crazy tech depths)

I want a super smooth, breaths like budda regulator. Lots of air flow and super easy breathing to the point I cant even tell I'm breathing out of a regulator.

Im willing to spend up to $1,000.

Whats the best regulator for me to buy?

See... - told you it was a simple question

For those needs? Atomic Z3. It breathes for you. 1000 USD is a bit too high and very few regs would fall out of that price range. If you are insistent upon spending more money to feel good about the purchase then you can get B2 instead but I would spend that money getting an identical second stage instead of a cheaper octo.

Personally, I would go for Dive Rites or Deep6 but that is because I like diaphragms.

Atomic regulators are best performance regulators, the only ones that are actually made in the US. They will last you a lifetime without trouble.

I'd get either the B2 or the Z2 (no need to spend the money on the Z3) with sealed first stage. They are as bullet proof regulators as can be. I have been using them since late 90's almost exclusively (I also use Scubapro regulators). In our dive center/school, we are standardizing on Scubapro regulators and Atomic, they are trouble free regulators with top of the line performance. Nothing in our experience comes close in all categories (reliability, performance and total value).

A lot would depend on what brands you have easy access to. One reg that you might want to take a look at is the Aqua Lung Legend LX. It is about $750US. It is marketed as a "cold water reg", but don't rule it out because of that. I have been using one for several years and it is amazing how easy it breathes.

For a little less, there is also the Legend Supreme ($640US MSRP) that should be a good choice as well.

Good luck with whatever you ultimately choose.

S**t. You said $1000, so the Atomic ST1 is right there. Chumps recommending B2,Z2,Zs**t. ST1 ftw!!! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought new Hogs for under $100 and I hear Deep Six is one not to ignore! Why would anyone spend upwards of $500 bucks when there are so many great regs for far less?

Oh yeah, it makes one a better diver :wink:

I'd buy (and have tiwice) an Atomic also. A B2 is $730 and has a standard 2 year or 300 dive service interval. Fundamentally the difference is the material used - performance is the same. The Z designation is Zirconium plated Brass - a B2 will have more Titanium components in it's construction. Their flaghip T3 model ($1700) is all Titanium which does not rust or corrode - ever.

Pair it with a Z2 Octo which breathes the same as the B2 2nd so no reason to match 2nds. A Z2 with a standard hose is $290 in yellow or other colors.

Or the SS1 Octo Inflator is $299 if you like that approach.It's also built to breathe the same since it's your reg when you donate your primary in an air-share situation. A buddy is happy with his.

All the Atomic 2nds breathe the same by design. So the idea of a "cheaper octo" expressed above in terms of performance is not true. In the Atomic line the more expensive models are made with more exotic metals so that's the price difference.

If you want the B2 sealed (for colder or siltier conditions) it's $40 more at purchase.

Deep6's sales model includes sending it back to them in GA when it needs service or finding a tech locally whose insurance allows them to use the provided Deep6 parts kit to service your reg. Good option if you plan to DIY reg servicing now or in the future.

I also like Aqualung Legends - they have a lot of service locations worldwide if needed. They have a 1st year inspect/2nd year service policy and if you miss it, your warranty goes with it.

If Scubapro is of interest, a Mk25/S600 is $729. with a G260 2nd it's $739. One of the highest performing regulators ever made.

An S550 2nd is another $300, an R195 is S189. Keeping the reg all the same brand makes it easier to service at one location. I came within about an hour of buying a Mk25/S600 once until my dealer showed me the Atomics. 2 year service interval is standard now on Scubapro models also.

I want a super smooth, breaths like budda regulator. Lots of air flow and super easy breathing to the point I cant even tell I'm breathing out of a regulator.
For me that's Atomic with the 2nd stage swivel. A couple times now while filming, I've almost dropped the reg. out of my mouth since I'm barely holding it in place and breathing effortlessly thru it.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom