Hey new friends 👋🤿🌊☺️

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

8mb

Registered
Reaction score
Akademgorodok -> Bay Area, CA -> Lake Orion, MI
# of dives
0 - 24
hey everyone!

Wanted to say hello! ☺️

I’ve been lurking and reading information on here as I dive into this new chapter of my life, and wanted to say that everyone seems very caring and knowledgeable, thank you for everyone posting great information :)

I am doing my open water class next weekend and will be officially certified! So far the classes have been awesome - I’ve felt at home when I’m water my whole life and scuba is great way to take it to the next level. Plus there are lots of lakes to explore where I live currently!

So far, being underwater feels really peaceful - quite meditative to focus on my breath, focus on buoyancy, clear my mind, and just be present in each moment spent submerged.

Equipment: I LOVE my Mares X Streams.

If anyone has any advice or equipment recommendations, I’d appreciate it!

- I will need to get a thick wetsuit for a tall, slender build 5’11” (might not be able to fit men’s though)

- we’re using Aqualung bcds for class, but I hear back inflate is the way to go - if anyone has input there.

- I was recommended an Apeks regulator - I do like their company motto and background!

- dive computer suggestions if you have any!

I’ll be diving mostly in cold freshwater.

I am finding a lot of used gear options online, and I’m wondering if I should just start there as I’m getting started and see how it goes OR how if it’s important to buy new off the bat for safety, etc.

Future classes: I plan to take the dry suit, rescue, cold water, photography, wreck, and hopefully lots of other classes, but if there’s any you recommend, let me know!

Thank you in advance! 🖖

Welcome to a great community! A wealth of knowledge and experience, and everyone is happy to share.

Reactions: 8mb
Welcome, I personally use the Scuba Pro Hydros Pro BCD which is a bit overkill for tropical warm water diving with the weight pouches on the waist belt (nicer for your cold water use)

I use an Atomic B2 regulator, cheapest model they have with the patented swivel, makes it much more relaxed to keep the reg in your mouth as you pivot your head.

Welcome to our really cool world! You might want to mosey on over to Women’s Perspectives to check out advice on gear. You might want to see if there are any women shaped like you who found wetsuits and BCDs that are a good fit. Lots of great info there, about all sorts of dive related stuff.

Happy diving!!

Hello there.

You don't look like a lurker

You would think people would appropriate better titles for themselves

However diving is great, maybe I should give everyone a break and give this lurking a try

I tried diving dry with a backplate and wing and humiliated myself with how ridiculous I looked. That said I know many, many more experienced divers who love them. I only have 23 dives under my belt so I am far from experienced. I know comfort, fit and confidence are keys for me to enjoy a dive. Get certified with what you have available and then try different types of equipment. Don't try changing too many things on one dive though. Keep it simple and fun. Welcome to a fantastic reason to hide expensive purchases from your significant other. Maybe they will learn to dive and you can enjoy the sport together.

Welcome, I personally use the Scuba Pro Hydros Pro BCD which is a bit overkill for tropical warm water diving with the weight pouches on the waist belt (nicer for your cold water use)
Thank you! I haven’t seen that one yet, it looks nice and the reviews are great. I was looking at the Zeagle Ranger.

Hello,

Welcome to the world of diving. Congratulations on starting the journey.

As you search, lurk, and gain new information, might I suggest a podcast?

I hear Off Gassing: A Scuba Podcast is pretty good! :cool:

Can be found on most podcasting platforms.

Enjoy the course.
Oooh, thank you! I found some great YouTube channels and I love me a good podcast so I will check it out! ☺️

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom