Hey from Montreal!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

W1ngz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

I'm Don, from Montreal, Canada. Last week the kids group I work with (12-18 year olds) did a Discover Scuba session with a local dive shop. I went along partly out of curiosity, but mostly with the intention of making sure the younger ones were behaving themselves on the pool deck. I ended up in the water, and once I got home, the wheels started turning. I've been reading, researching and planning ever since. I didn't expect to take to it so quickly!

Anyway. I decided I was going to start with a long-term goal, and work my way along and see what I could figure out. I'm hoping in the late summer of 2016, to have put together enough training, experience and equipment, to make an ocean dive to one of the wrecks off North Carolina, where I have friends. More than likely it would end up being the U-352.

Between now and then, I'll have to get through my Open Water, Advanced Open Water, and plan to add the enriched air and deep diver qualifications.

Where the money is gonna come from is a whole other question... :D

Welcome to the board!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to sb.
Good to see other divers from Quebec.

Hey Don, welcome to this group, glad you decided like I did 6 years ago, to jump into this awesome activity. In order to achieve your goal of doing the U Boat in Morehead city, you will need to get your advanced open water diver cards and some experience in the open water. Nitrox will provide extra time and safety, should you decide to take the course. I've done the U-352 a couple times, but you may find other wrecks in the same area that are not as well known but still very interesting to visit, with Sand tiger sharks in bonus. Closer from home, if you want to gain experience, places like the Conestoga in Cardinal, Ontario to start with. If you want to get closer and still gain a great deal of experience, the Lock 21 near Cornwall, Ont is one of my favorite dive spots. Let me know next summer if you need a guide for the Lock 21, I'd be glad to help as I have over 60 dives in this place alone.

Michel

Thanks for the offer, Michel! I know about the added cert requirements to make the U-352 dive more enjoyable as well as safer. There are several wrecks in the St Lawrence that may be interesting to explore once I get my cards. I suspect I'll see a few of them with the dive school as well.

Maybe by then the 50' Olympic pool will be reopened also!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom