Hey All

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kourtjestr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So, in the spirit of a greeting, hello all. I just got certified about a month ago, did all my open water cert dives in a 54 degree pond... Then my first open water dives in Key Largo! It was so nice ditching the 7mm for just a BCD.... Looking forward to a year full of diving after this awful thing called winter goes by....

So, for my first question: If I know exactly how much lead I need for my BCD and all my gear (including an AL80) is there a convenient way to extrapolate how much lead I need to be *correctly* weighted in my 7mm john and jacket, gloves, and hood? I KNOW I was way overweighted in my class, but was PERFECTLY weighted (for my skill level and knowledge level) in the Keys. I was hoping to get a good guess without lots of in and out of water to get in the right ball park and fine tune from there... I ran 12 lbs in just the gear (no neoprene but the same boots I wear for Maine diving), and it's the SAME gear.

Kourt

After some reading from an article I found, it seems to suggest that a 7mm would only need another 4 lbs of weight... But that would only give me 16 lbs of lead, and I was using about TWICE that in my class....

Last edited:
Rule of thumb, is 3# lead for every 1mm of neoprene. plus about 4 to 6 pounds depending on if you're a "floater" or not, for a 7mm. That's a good starting point, then do a proper buoyancy check to ensure you are correct.

Rule of thumb, is 3# lead for every 1mm of neoprene. plus about 4 to 6 pounds depending on if you're a "floater" or not, for a 7mm. That's a good starting point, then do a proper buoyancy check to ensure you are correct.

That sounds MUCH more reasonable than thinking 4 lbs of lead would get a 7mm down.... Will have to try that on the next excursion.

Back
Top Bottom