Hero3 - NO AUTO LCD power down / turn-off #$%#$%&^*$&&*

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RockyHeap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
After just spending an hour on the GoPro Tech Support line, and having a few issues with my Hero3 Black, a VERY DISTURBING issue has come to mind, and this is from the tech support guy himself. I stand to be corrected if Marty or others can comment to my/our troubling "issue" with the Hero3's.

On my Hero2, I've always ran the LCD screen in 1 minute Auto Off mode. So when diving, you frame the shot, and let the film roll, and the LCD backpack screen would turn off automatically after 1 minute............. 99% of the time I shoot in 1-2 minute bursts to make for easier editing later. I NEVER just roll film for 45 minutes.

It has just come to my attention, that with the LCD touch screen (or non-touch screen) attached on a Hero3, that there is NO auto-off function for the LCD........this is for any H3 flavor white/silver or black.

So.....no auto off:

1) your battery will run down sooner.
2) the camera will get hotter and fog up sooner.

I'll leave this post at that, as I've had some battery charging issues and other H3 lock-ups that required me to remove/replace the battery.......and as I said, I just got off an hour long phone call to GoPro Tech Support..........they're REALLY trying to help us consumers, no the firmware and Hero3 isn't a mature technology.......so please be patient with them and help them out if you're having issues. Good Karma pays forward for everyone.

Do call 1-888-600-4659 and tell the techs that us divers, or snow skiers, or skydivers, anyone in a cold temperature environment, REALLY would like the firmware option to have the LCD auto-power down after XYZ time frame to save battery life and reduce heat.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there presently is no option to have your LCD auto turn off on a H3...........which REALLY SUCKS as I love to do time-lapse and thus the monitor will stay on as long as the camera is powered up above or below the water.

Sooooooooo, according to GoPro Tech, while diving I'm supposed to manually turn my LCD on and off, regardless of if the camera shutter is rolling or not, in order to save battery and reduce heat. Hero2 had an Auto Off and Auto On, Hero 3 to the best of my knowledge doesn't.

This sucks major big time. The Tech was very understanding, and did talk to other "engineers" while I was on hold.........so fellow divers, please do call 1-888-600-4659 and let GoPro know how much we need to keep heat and fogging to a minimum.

Marty any comments/insight?

Its a bit of a pain for those that used the auto off but I tend to always manually turn it on and off anyway, I hated it turning itself off whilst I'm using it. To me it wasn't a huge issue as I didn't use that feature but see how it can be for others.

There is no LCD menu at all either and so brightness of the screen can't be turned up, us no big deal but using the screen topside it makes it almost useless on a bright day.

There have been some firmware updates that did resolve the charging bug so maybe check to see if you have the latest version. I have heard of a few people have some issues with the odd h3 black and so unfortunately there may be the odd dodgy one around. The majority are fine but looks like a small number may have issues not sure if its firmware related, SD cards or just a faulty camera that causes this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom