Hero3 Black testing underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thought Id update all the battery tests I did with the Hero 3 Black, this should give a fair idea to most of what to expect from it.

HD3b firmware HD3.03.01.09

no bacpac wifi off 2.7k30T PT ON cam raw video test 1h14m.25s 23.4GB

Batt Bacpac wifi off 2.7k30T PT ON cam raw video test 1h49m.43s 35.9GB

LCD bacpac wifi off 2.7k30T PT ON cam raw video test 0h56m.50s 17.9GB

Batt Bacpac wifi off 1080p30n pt off video+photo @ 5 sec 3h18m.27s 27.8GB + 2,379 photos 867MB

no bacpac wifi off 1080p30n pt off video+photo @ 5 sec 1h56m.32s 23.4GB + 1,377 photos 368MB

LCD bacpac wifi off 1080p30n pt off video+photo @5 sec 1h18m.55s 11.0GB + 944 photos 297MB

no bacpac WiFi On 1080p30w pt off video test 1h28m.44s 12.4GB

no bacpac wifi off 1080p30w pt off video test 1h33m.35s 13.1GB

no bacpac wifi off 1080p30Tw PT ON video test 1h31m.18s 22.3GB

Batt Bacpac WiFi On 1080p30w pt off video test 2h37m.35s 22.1GB

no bacpac wifi off 1080p60w pt off video test 1h10m.47s 14.8GB

no bacpac wifi off 1080p60m pt off video test 1h10m.59s 14.9GB

no bacpac wifi off 1080p60n pt off video test 1h22m.59s 17.9GB

It pretty much covers most modes and shows protune or wifi arent a huge hit on the battery, underwater though there is no need to have wifi on. 1080p60 modes do use the most battery but not much more then 2.7k and I am quite impressed by how good the 1080p60 looks in all FOV's above water and even in low light. I will try these on my next dives possibly this Sunday if I manage to get all my dive gear back from its annual service, the narrow mode doesn't suffer the same issues as the hd2 either so it will be a much more useable mode in both 30 and 60p.

Overall battery life is my biggest issue with the H3 black and I still haven't been able to get any spare batteries in Australia but should be available quite soon. Once you get it in your hand its amazing what you can get from such a tiny little camera but I would have preferred a larger battery and accepted a larger body.

Excellent Post as usuall Marty, let me know if you need me to ship some batteries from the states.............

Excellent Post as usuall Marty, let me know if you need me to ship some batteries from the states.............

Thanks Rocky, I do have some friends already in the states that could do that but when I first got my camera there were not many hero 3 accessories available . I did manage to get by with just one battery and one batt bacpac which is the main reason for all the battery tests. They were so I could get a good idea of what I can get in one day out of what I had available, I figured I may as well make it public info as many others have been asking about battery life. I dont have access to power when diving here so cant charge any between dives even if I wanted to.

Local hero3 stock is pretty much just starting to trickle into Australia and I have a bunch of accessories coming from a friend of mine who is a gopro stockist. The black edition cameras will still be pretty hard to get locally but all accessories should be here in the next day or so along with white and silver cameras.

Hey Marty,

Thanks for all the info you have provided. While I shoot a larger L&M system, I have just ordered the 3 Black Edition for my wife. You may have mentioned this in other threads but if you were going to set-up your 3 for basic tropical type diving with the red filter, what have you found the best overall setting to be?

There have been reliable reports that the PROTOOLS in the GoPRO is causing them to freeze up. Waiting to get the Black from PR soon to review but be careful of the software. That and Cineform is really very wonky to use.
Steve

It is. It really, really is. Would be far better to get those curves somehow working as presets in AE/Premiere or other NLE/effects packages, with the ability to do correction without the MP4>AVI workflow

---------- Post added November 22nd, 2012 at 01:04 PM ----------

Excellent - so, around an hour w/ LCD - honestly, I wasn't getting much more than this with the HERO2, but It'd be way nicer for me if there was an LCD/Battery combo, meaning we could daisychain them together.

Thought Id update all the battery tests I did with the Hero 3 Black, this should give a fair idea to most of what to expect from it.

It pretty much covers most modes and shows protune or wifi arent a huge hit on the battery, underwater though there is no need to have wifi on. 1080p60 modes do use the most battery but not much more then 2.7k and I am quite impressed by how good the 1080p60 looks in all FOV's above water and even in low light. I will try these on my next dives possibly this Sunday if I manage to get all my dive gear back from its annual service, the narrow mode doesn't suffer the same issues as the hd2 either so it will be a much more useable mode in both 30 and 60p.

Overall battery life is my biggest issue with the H3 black and I still haven't been able to get any spare batteries in Australia but should be available quite soon. Once you get it in your hand its amazing what you can get from such a tiny little camera but I would have preferred a larger battery and accepted a larger body.

Just came back from sports authority and got a great deal

They had 20% off sale so I went ahead and bought the following:
2 Gopro Hero3 black edition
2 backpack batteries

AND because I previously did not sign up with Sports Authority... I will also be getting a 5% cashback in email.

Grand total came out to $770.37 and I saved $179.99

Considering 5% pre tax I think it will be $36 coupon coming my way... say waaaaaaa?

I smell free attachments coming my way as soon as I get that rebate.

Mmm.hmmm.

I will be mounting both go-pros to compliment my bonica camera in various jerry rig formations.

what a beautiful day.

There have been reliable reports that the PROTOOLS in the GoPRO is causing them to freeze up. Waiting to get the Black from PR soon to review but be careful of the software. That and Cineform is really very wonky to use.
Steve

Can you shoot in protune mode and then use your editor of choice or do you have use cineform ?

We had a Hero3 Black freeze up on us as well. It was stuck on, with the little video camera showing on the front lcd screen. We were able to reset it by holding the top button, after doing the firmware update. No problems since.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by sharksdelight
Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom