Hero3 Black testing underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kicking myself for not being more informed before purchasing the 3 Silver. We leave in 3 days and still have time to exchange for the black edition but not sure we should. Wifi works great on Silver but won't work on black until December. Not sure what to do. we only use it for snorkeling/diving and only a couple of times a year. Is it worth it to exchange for the black?

kicking myself for not being more informed before purchasing the 3 Silver. We leave in 3 days and still have time to exchange for the black edition but not sure we should. Wifi works great on Silver but won't work on black until December. Not sure what to do. we only use it for snorkeling/diving and only a couple of times a year. Is it worth it to exchange for the black?

Have you had a GoPro camera before? The silver is an upgraded hero2 with smaller form factor and built in WiFi plus it also has the same WB options as the black going by the specs. Its still a pretty good camera but will not quite match the image quality of the black especially in deeper or lower light diving.

The black has the newest sensor and processor so will do better in lower light and gives you more mode options such as 720p120 1080p60 and 2.7k30, WiFi works on the black but only the remote atm the app wont be till mid next month for the black.

I guess you need to decide if you want the extra modes and improved sensor or if what you have is good enough for you plus a functioning phone app already.

Here is one more video shot the other week, One of the rarely dived back beaches which I hadnt dived in a couple years but always used to have lost of life. Can only be dived in very low swells and we had the lowest Ive seen in over 5 years this day, not much fish around this time apart from a huge stingray that doesn't quite show its size on camera apart from the one shot with another diver above it, He is about 3-4m above the stingray too. I think the tail alone would have been about 2m long so its easily much bigger then any others Ive seen and we do get quite a few big ones around.

This was all shot in 2.7k cine 24p with a URPro CY filter with max depth about 10m.

[video=youtube;XpYuUje2zaM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpYuUje2zaM[/video]

Thanks Marty! Have always really enjoyed your videos. I'll take a look at this one when I get home from work. We have the 960 with SRP Blurfix pre-mounted housing and filters. Still haven't mastered using those modes, etc so I guess we'll just stick with what we have and maybe use a light on the deeper reefs. Thanks again!

The Silver is still a great camera. I am still keeping my Hero2 w/ the Dive Housing because the image quality is about all I need, the higher frame rates and resolutions of the H3 Black are nice perks, but overkill for what I need. If you are not doing professional camera work, you should be fine.

Thanks tooxler! That settles it then. We leave for Bonaire in 2 days!!! Marty has inspired me so I hope to post a video when we get back.

Where is everyone getting the black edition? I preordered mine at the Future Shop Weeks ago and my shipping date keeps getting pushed off. It currently shows as shipping on the 30th, and I am worried that it won't get here in time for my Cozumel trip (December 12)

Probably should have ordered directly from Gopro.com.

It'd be REAL NICE to get back on topic, for real Hero 3 testing tips / results, and not rambling banter about dating a guy from Best Buy who lives in Bonaire............but there will be other future posts with more facts and data and techniques and real world advice. Just sayin'......Good to see the interest in the Hero 3 Black, but do try to keep things on topic OR start another thread please.

Does it make it much better if you buy a new housing? Or is the flat housing pretty good on the hero3?

if so what filter would you prefer?

Does it make it much better if you buy a new housing? Or is the flat housing pretty good on the hero3?

if so what filter would you prefer?

The stock housing is fine no need to get another, Ive only used the new blurfix3 SO adapter and it works with all my 55mm filters and clips on real easy. I have the full range of URPro filters in 55mm and I have always preferred the URPro's underwater. I cant see any way of making a better filter option for this housing as it does all I need and has worked great with my first week of diving with it.

Im looking into trying a few different things with it and will post here if I have any success, could be quite interesting if it works like I think it will. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom