Hero3 Black testing underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Today I learned about channel mixing--looks like you can get huge bang for the buck in post.

Are there any tools on the Mac that let you do this without having to shell out $$ for full packages like AE/Premiere?

yeah, watched that one already...

I'm really worried about doing some long drift dive in Cozumel, and having the battery last less than an hour. That'd be annoying. I'd love to see some worse case scenarios a/b'd with the Black, to see just what kind of improvement we really get.

I'm adverse to throwing on filters, more than happy to correct in post. That said, if the images aren't captured via the CCD, we're screwed, even with channel mixing, but I'm not convinced that the filtration really gets us more than capturing with a wide gamut does. Call me skeptical... :)

Buy two cameras. :wink:

---------- Post Merged at 11:29 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:23 AM ----------

Today I learned about channel mixing--looks like you can get huge bang for the buck in post.

Are there any tools on the Mac that let you do this without having to shell out $$ for full packages like AE/Premiere?

Is comparable photo editing possible on a PC as opposed to a Mac?

Sorry for the tangent. Did some further snooping and found that you can actually edit video, and apply filters/channel mixing in Photoshop (on both PC and Mac of course). Geez, I didn't even know you could load video files into Photoshop. :shakehead:

Try Kdenlive | Free and open source video editor for GNU/Linux, Mac OS X and FreeBSD, I used it on Linux but there is also a Mac version. Completely free and open-source

Experiment with the Technicolor filter, there is a sweetspot where the colors turn from green/blue to acceptable hues. I also add the contrast filter to make things a little sharper.

MacPorts is a source-based system - there is not a binary app bundle for Kdenlive. Therefore, Kdenlive and all of its numerous dependencies including multimedia libraries, KDE, and Qt must be compiled. This can take a long time and much disk space! Furthermore, it is not unusual for something not to build correctly; it is definitely not something for the novice, impatient, or "faint of heart."

This looks...daunting. I can't wait to dive in. I'll let myself out.

This looks...daunting. I can't wait to dive in. I'll let myself out.

Sorry, it was straight forward to install on Ubuntu. I guess you might have to stick with whats available for purchase on itunes.

Sorry, it was straight forward to install on Ubuntu. I guess you might have to stick with whats available for purchase on itunes.

Well, if Nickelback or One Direction will channel mix for me, I might change my opinion of them :)

Pardon my mac ignorance, [proudly] not a mac owner. Let me correct that to "for purchase on the Apple Store" - had to google it just to make sure my "iShop" or "iApp" guesses were not too far off again.

Gombessaan811:
Sorry for the tangent. Did some further snooping and found that you can actually edit video, and apply filters/channel mixing in Photoshop (on both PC and Mac of course). Geez, I didn't even know you could load video files into Photoshop. :shakehead:

A filter in post is just the same as any other method of attempting colour correction, the point of a physical filter is to reduce dominant light in water at depth. This efects the actual image that's seen by the lens and filters it at this level, if you use a clear lens then no matter what you do to it you will never get back colours that weren't seen by the camera.

After effects an pp also have easy filter application of filters and you can correct the often terrible auto wb of the gopro in post using many methods but it gets to a point where reds just aren't captured so trying to increase these will do nothing more than increase noise. A physical filter and software filter are 2 completely different things.

Filters aren't for everyone but I think they have been pretty well and truly proven to be very effective on all uw cameras when used properly.

Tooz- no worries. Frankly, I've never shied away from recompiling the kernel on my ancient redhat 7 box (296 days uptime until the PS fan died), but reading through some of the issues Mac users have been dealing with compiling kdenlive, I'm not relishing the idea of the extensive troubleshooting needed, especially on my production machine. But I will put some time away to give it a shot. Thanks for the recommendation!

Marty - can you post a link to the filters you used on your H3?

Back
Top Bottom