Hero 3 Closeup / Reg Lens Test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, which shots were taken with the Inon?

Only the anemone. The lights were on low power but I didn't realize it until after I moved to another shot, and I was too lazy to go back and re do it.

Here's what I put on youtube:
00:28 wide fov, SRP filter, lights
00:53 Narrow fov,+10 diopter
01:19 Narrow fov, Inon lens
01:49 Wide fov, SRP filter, lights

02:08 Wide fov, SRP filter
02:34 Narrow fov, stacked diopters (+1o, +5)

Great stuff, thanks for posting. That +10 narrow FOV is what I am hoping to experiment with, it's not perfect but for the trivial cost I would be more than happy to get some shots like those just for fun!

Got my super cheap 62mm diopters ("Vivitar" brand) in, paid about $9 for 4 filters (+10, 4, 2 and 1).

[video=youtube;HHoV-wD5t6c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHoV-wD5t6c&hd=1[/video]

Using a single +10 diopter mounted on a little acrylic frame with screws (and a paper clip temporarily). Shot in 1080p medium FOV - there is vignetting on the corners on the wide mode.

The mesh fabric is exactly 3" away from the lens, so anything closer (the remote) is out of focus - this was pointed out by guamdiver but I wanted to check how it would work on the DH since the lens sits further away from the flat port.

Got some great results - apart from shakiness - using a +10 diopter, a tiny 180 lumen light (60 degrees beam diffused) and an Eel Vision red filter.

Here is a quick unedited video:

[video=youtube;SG0g0EqymkA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG0g0EqymkA?hd=1[/video]

Last edited:
Your lighting is good...what were you using?

On the wider shot (with the grouper) it's mostly sun light - this was around noon on a bright sunny day at about 45 feet.

On the close-up shot, the torch is more noticeable. It's not a $400+ SOLA or video light, it's the cheapest 60 degree beam out there, with only 180 lumens and with a holographic diffuser sheet inserted ( I-Torch - LED Scuba Diving Back up light and Photography ). Because it's on 1080p narrow mode and with a +10 diopter, the beam pretty much covers the whole frame on a close up shot, plus it also lights just enough. I will add more clips soon shot under a ledge so light is more noticeable.

The filter also does a good job with the colors where the lights won't cover.

Here is another clip, lights are more noticeable. Shot at around ~55 feet. I applied Youtube's stabilization to keep you all from puking - it wasn't that bad.

[video=youtube;yguNjDTO9-M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yguNjDTO9-M&hd=1[/video]

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom