Juvenile Harlequin Shrimp Dancing - Lumix LX10 macro test shots - Tulamben, Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

afieldofblue

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999

Juvenile Harlequin Shrimp dancing at Kwanji, (Tulamben, Bali, Indonesia).

This is a low-key lighting test of a juvenile harlequin shrimp ( (Hymenocera picta, size ≈ 5mm) spotted in Tulamben's Kwanji dive site.

Shot on the Panasonic Lumix LX10 (LX15/LX9 in some locales), with a new Scubalamp MS-10 1000 LM snoot video light, on a midday dive.

Gear is a Lumix LX10 mounted on a homemade quadripod, with an INON UCL-165 (+6 diopter) closeup lens combined with a Backscatter Macromate mini (+10 ? ) diopter designed for GoPro cameras, as I don't currently own a stronger diopter.
The Macromate is a 55mm wet lens, whereas the Inon is 67mm - it is what is is, but works.
Light used is a Scubalamp MS-10 snoot video light. This is the 2nd time I've used this light for supermacro subjects like this (≈ 5mm juvenile harlequin shrimp)
Music base: "Undo" by Björk .
#tulamben #LX10 #macro #harlequinshrimp #bali #juvenile #macrovideography #macrovideography #uwphotography #photography #wildlife #ocean #nature #travel #LX10 #LX15 #diving #scubadiving #vacances #plongee #LX9 #Amed #バリ島 #shrimp #フリソデエビ #フリソデ #shrimps #エビ #未知の世界 #非日常体験 #水中写真 #水中撮影 #水中散歩 #マクロ.

Hey! Great footage, loved the details on the shrimp! Lighting looks really nice with that snoot, the black background look is very distinctive.

How did you mount the backscatter diopter on top of the UCL-165? Does it fit in or did you need a step up/down ring? What did you use for making the quedripod?

Years ago in Tulamben I was incredibly lucky to film a Harlequin molting its skin - before then I never knew that they did that!

Hey! Great footage, loved the details on the shrimp! Lighting looks really nice with that snoot, the black background look is very distinctive.

How did you mount the backscatter diopter on top of the UCL-165? Does it fit in or did you need a step up/down ring? What did you use for making the quedripod?
Hi and thanks - yes, I'm quite happy with the snoot light, works well for subjects 1 cm and smaller. For larger critters, I've had some success with my normal dive torch.

This little guy was a little under 5mm, ie quite small, so I used the video snoot on its "wider" setting (without the cap) - and he was quite cooperative, moving a lot but staying in one spot quite a bit, which helped.
He was quite reflective being white / transparent, so I have to be careful not overexpose / burn out the highlights.

Regarding the diopters, the Backscatter macromate is the stronger diopter, so I have that on the port first.
It's a 55mm lens, so I have two step up / down rings to use on the NA-LX10 67mm flat port, and stack the Inon on top.

IMG_20230530_143622.jpg

For the quadripod, it's a homemade solution, adapted on a Nauticam Flexitray.

Full construction details here:

cheers!
b

Years ago in Tulamben I was incredibly lucky to film a Harlequin molting its skin - before then I never knew that they did that!
Wow that's great, I'd love to see that. They're really fun critters to observe - I don't really understand what they're achieving by moving the way they do, as it doesn't seem to be food related. Maybe it's to move the sensory antennules to smell out prey, or a sort of threat display perhaps?

This is far more interesting than those usual stuffs from most diving pictures /videos.
What is going to happen to this guy?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom