Hero 3 Closeup / Reg Lens Test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guamrider

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Thanks to all the contributed to my previous posts. Here's a short video we took yesterday.

It combines a couple of cheap diopter filters, an Inon 67mm Close up lens, Sola lights, and SRP adapters and a SRP tray.

As it says in the video there are no world shattering shots, but it will give you an idea of what you can do on one dive.

See if you can guess which of the closeup shots were taken with the Inon?

[video=youtube;ebgkHqTdvWk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebgkHqTdvWk&feature=youtu.be[/video]

The first shot is taken with one lens then you move to the stationary lionfish and that seems a different lens
The shot of the lionfish moving is with a different lens than the previous
The anemone seems to be the same of the first stationary lionfish
Looking at it on a phone so might be wrong

Ok I have looked at it on a computer and what you wrote on youtube makes no sense I think you might have confused the timing?

Last edited:
Ok I have looked at it on a computer and what you wrote on youtube makes no sense I think you might have confused the timing?

The timing/lens use as I put up on the original video on Youtube is correct. I think you are seeing the difference in how far away I was from the Lionfish and the distance is very critical with the diopters. I also adjusted the light a little better in the second shot.

The anemone is the only shot taken with the anemone. I think I should have moved the lights closer to get more definition.

I was actually quite surprised to see how little the difference was between the Inon and "cheapy" diopter lenses. Good light patterns are going to make a huge difference.

I have posted a comment on your video the markers are not what you wrote most are different
Also I think in some cases you either forgot to put the lights on or you did something wrong as it looks very dark so very hard to compare

----

I have been looking at it closer
1.16 on the back the lionfish you can see the blue stripes of fringing (chromatic aberration) radiating from what are actually white stripes
1:24 the same contrast on the anemone white bands does not produce the same amount of aberration
2:24 scene with the 5+1 this is simply blurred that is probably as in water that becomes a +2 and you are too close

In general it seems your +10 is weaker than the Inon as you are further away from the lionfish when it is in focus than you are from the clownfish
The clownfish shot is poorly exposed

I
----I have been looking at it closer
1.16 on the back the lionfish you can see the blue stripes of fringing (chromatic aberration) radiating from what are actually white stripes
1:24 the same contrast on the anemone white bands does not produce the same amount of aberration
2:24 scene with the 5+1 this is simply blurred that is probably as in water that becomes a +2 and you are too close

Thank you for your very detailed analysis. As I said before in another post to you, these are general shots to just show what the camera and diopters can do at relatively inexpensive costs. I'm pretty sure the "average" user of a Gopro would find them acceptable to them and that was the point of my doing all of this.

Thank you for your very detailed analysis. As I said before in another post to you, these are general shots to just show what the camera and diopters can do at relatively inexpensive costs. I'm pretty sure the "average" user of a Gopro would find them acceptable to them and that was the point of my doing all of this.

Your purpose of testing the combination of the diopters/lens instead comparing the quality of brand X or Y is abundantly clear, just not for everyone.

Thanks for testing it out, I should be receiving my 62mm cheap diopters soon and will try them out in 2 weeks or so.. I hope there is not a lot of chromatic aberration, otherwise, my GoPro-quality footage will be ruined and will never be played on NatGeo :(

Last edited:
Your purpose of testing the combination of the diopters/lens and instead comparing the quality of brand X or Y is abundantly clear, just not for everyone.
.....hope there is not a lot of chromatic aberration, otherwise, my GoPro-quality footage will be ruined and will never be played on NatGeo :(

Yeah, (I say in jest) Nat Geo is particularly nasty if they get ANY footage with aberrations of any kind.

In reality, it's really nice that more and more you see footage on the Discovery family of networks that even 5 years ago would have been considered horrible. Now it's finally good content over mediocre content with good video specs.

Some people just like to criticize everything.

You asked to spot the difference in the lenses and I did, what has that to do to criticize the skills?

There is no need to demonstrate that a close up lens work that is a fact that needs no proof

And it is also apparent that there is a difference between a $10 lens and one that costs $150 as it should be

More than anything this shows that the exposure control of the gopro has serious limits when using lights at close range, this is because both aperture and shutter speed are fixed and the camera has a high level of default gain so it is very easy to burn highlights as you have to control exposure with the lights themselves that you can only do if you have dimmable ones even in that case you may end up under or over like your shots prove

It is a cheap device and has its limits you can push them but they show, neverthless some of the shots you previosly took were much better probably as you could balance the lights better

Back
Top Bottom