Hernando County dive sites/spear fishing areas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grey2112

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Trying to find some productive areas for spearfishing off Hernando county - tired of going to the well-know wrecks and structure only to find few fish since everyone keeps hitting those areas hard.
Don't need specific numbers, but would love to get some ideas of where to go generally and what to look for, how deep, etc. Looking for grouper, AJ, cobia, mangrove snapper, flounder, hogfish.

When you find out, let me know. Ill split the gas with you.

Bill

Well, I think I finally convinced my dive buddy to go out and do a SCOUTING trip this time and try to find some good spots - going to hit ledges, hard bottom, etc. in about 25-30 feet of water with the goal of finding and marking good spots. We'll have three divers and my wife will be up top manning the con, so hopefully we can check out a lot of different spots quickly and efficiently. Wish us luck!

Well, went out on Sunday to some spots in Pasco and Pinellas - hit a place called Turtle Ledge that, while not producing a lot of eatable fish, was a pretty damn beautiful dive - came upon a HUGE tutle sleeping under a ledge. We also tried out a few promising looking (on paper) spots that turned into nothing. So we hit the Pyramid at the artifical reef. Ended the day with some barely legal gag grouper (like right on the nose), a few hogfish, and about 6 flounder.

Monday I went out with SavageRon and we did Hernando - went out about 19 miles to get to 33 feet of water - dove a spot given to me by a friend who is a charterboat captain. Great little reef, nice structure, pretty - but the current was kind if strong and we didn't see much that was shootable - probably a better experience in the Fall with less current and cooler water. But another site that was closer in and only 19 feet of water produced a 25" gag, 6 hogfish, and a triggerfish (my first one) - and there were two HUGE gags down there that I just couldn't hit - they took off like a shot when I fired and my spearshaft barely glanced their tail - need to lead them more at those distances.

But I think I'm going to just start going out of Pasco or Pinellas since it takes so much time (and gas) to get to any sort of depth in Hernando.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom