Here is a hi res download of DIR III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan, I have already gotten my C card, and recently went to a poker run event there were approx 40 divers there, not a one had the DIR spare air, they ALL had octo's or spare air on their inflator. I do see the value in this, I like the idea that you know the air works when you hand it off to your buddy, and if your own spare air isnt working, well, you'll have been without air for less time than your buddy. I think I will make this change as soon as I can. I dont really plan to become a tech diver at this point, dont know if I'll ever get below 60 feet even, but I do like this DIR approach so that if I do make that change, I wont have to change my habits. Thanks for the post.
Maybe you don't really mean spare air? The alternate second stage is usually called the octo, backup reg, or bungeed backup (when worn around the neck). People might get confused with the yellow Spare Air bottles that are usually too small to make a controlled air sharing ascent with a safety stop.

Dan.

Hope this isn't a dumb question. I ask this as I fully agree that carrying redundant gas (doubles) is a very good thing. If one does dive doubles wet (5-7mm suit) what logical choice or upper limit should one look at for full negative buoyancy on the tanks? Twin AL Luxfer 100's compared to Steel PST 100's cut 10lbs. Is this relevant? (I can easily see where going with big steel is very detrimental, 104's put you at almost 3 times the AL 100's at 30 lbs.) I got the impression from the video and earlier statements that the biggest problem is putting oversize steel tanks on divers when wet, not that diving wet per-se was bad.

Or is the only DIR accepted solution to dive dry?

P.S.- I am amazed at the difference in tank bouyancy even between similar capacities in the referenced link, gives one pause to think about proper selection.

For the Palm Beach area ocean diving, I will use a wetsuit in the summer/fall/late spring...dry suit in winter ..for normal recreational to maybe 150 foot dives....As soon as you start going to 200 to 280 feet deep, there are too many days when thermoclines will make the wet suit worthless, and you would need to abort...so for deep, you really want dry if possible....

If I am using a wetsuit and doubles, I am using aluminum 80's.... I can swim these up with no air in my wing at all, with no effort. I also dive alot, so 80's will last me a long time....

REgards,
Dan

do it easy,
Yea, I meant the bungeed backup, thanks for the correction

so one more question on the DIR diving, does this mean that the jacket style bc that I have is junk? Its not the fanciest of things, and I did get it used, but , it gets me in the water.

so one more question on the DIR diving, does this mean that the jacket style bc that I have is junk? Its not the fanciest of things, and I did get it used, but , it gets me in the water.

You can enjoy your diving with a jacket BC, and you can be a good and safe diver with one....I believe if you tried a backplate and wing a few times, you would hate the jacket bc..but I am not going to tell a recreational diver they have to instantly dump their brand new jacket bc, in order to begin experiencing DIR ideas.....There are many DIR changes and ideas you can try, without ditching your jacket.....if you have plenty of cash, and it is no hardship, then move to the BP and wing...if it is a big deal, then try as many of the other DIR ideas as you can now...who knows, you may even run into a good condition used bp and wing for sale at a great price, once you start diving with DIR divers :)

REgards,
Dan

The DIR 3 video is now on Vimeo.

DIR 3 on Vimeo

The file has been cleaned up a bit, and should play well for nearly anyone. The file is also downloadable as an .mp4 file from this page if you prefer that.

I am working on the other video now.

Does any have DIR II that can be put online? My tape got eaten years ago.

If anyone can get me the DIR2 video, and permission to use it, I'll do the same with it.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom