Henderson warmth? Thermoprene vs gold core vs hyperstretch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raviepoo

Contributor
Reaction score
in exile in the Pennsyltucky Archipellago
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm getting a new wetsuit, to be used diving in water that is around 74 degrees. (It's a uniform actually. Gotta be Henderson.) I have bought, (and worn, and worn out, and killed, and mourned) a number of Henderson Hyperstretch suits in the past because I have an odd body type. I tend to get cold, however.

With this new suit I might go for custom fit. Price doesn't matter.

It's legend that Hyperstretch is less warm than standard neoprene and Gold Core is supposedly warmer than anything else that Henderson makes. I'd like to hear from people who have tried different types of Henderson suits. What do you think? Is there really a difference? How much of a difference? Would a 5mm Gold Core suit keep you as warm as a 7mm made of Hyperstretch?

What about Thermoprene? Are you new Thermoprene users happy with your suits? Are they as snuggly as a standard suit?

I asked the owner of the LDS and he said, "Yup. Gold Core is warmer." He couldn't really clarify any more than that. I hope you guys have the experience to help me out with this.

I haven't used the Hyperstretch or Thermoprene. However, I own two Gold Cores, and compared to non-Gold cores of the same thickness (non-Henderson), it *is* warmer (plus, easier to don/doff).

Henderson makes a semi-dry that has the gold core lining and the hyperstretch ability so you get the best of both. I had looked at it but for the cost you can get a drysuit especially if you are thinking of going custom.

Gold core is warmer than Hyperstretch. Absolutely.

Try the Gold Core one on. If you're happy with the fit and feel, go ahead and buy it. DON'T try the Hyperstretch on... they're super comfy, but if you're looking for warmth, you're only settings yourself up for disappointment.

There is no product, currently, that is as comfortable as a Hyperstretch, but as warm as the other options.

Gold Core is warm and the silky feel is awesome. The lining sticks to your skin (in a good way) and keeps water trapped better than neoprene. I have the 5mm fullsuit and vest. I'm buying the booties next. I am a typical woman who is always cold and this suit is the only thing that keeps me warm. Plus, it looks really good on women :)

Just send my InstaDry for repair... I'm looking for a Gold Core 5mm in all black as a spare do u know wer I can get it?.. seems that everyone has stock on the black/purple only..

I'm a girl too in Size 4 from Asia if u can help...

thanks!

I didn't think it came in all black. Also be aware, that they run pretty close to real dress sizes. I take a size 6 in pants the size 6 fit me perfectly.

The gold-core is much warmer than the hyperstretch....although peeing in the gold-core feels a bit awkard because the suit doesn't obsorb it.

The hyperstretch is good for warm water diving, it is very easy to get in and out of and it is very comfy.

I have dived in 48 degree water with my 5mm hyperstretch with a 1.5 mm body suit underneath and survived. Nonetheless, my 7mm gold-core keeps me much warmer.

Cheers

Chris

The gold-core is much warmer than the hyperstretch....although peeing in the gold-core feels a bit awkard because the suit doesn't obsorb it.

The hyperstretch is good for warm water diving, it is very easy to get in and out of and it is very comfy.

I have dived in 48 degree water with my 5mm hyperstretch with a 1.5 mm body suit underneath and survived. Nonetheless, my 7mm gold-core keeps me much warmer.

Cheers

Chris

Yes! It is also very hard to "flush" since the suit is like superglued to your skin when you are underwater :rofl3:. But--no smelly suit. Just make sure you rinse it (and yourself) after you take it off.

If you are looking for the best of both world here is an option. you mentioned a 5mm suit.

Henderson USA - Detail

It is the gold core lining with the hyperstretch material but only comes in a 5/7 combo with a hood. It will keep you warm.

Back
Top Bottom