Henderson warmth? Thermoprene vs gold core vs hyperstretch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought a Henderson 5mm Gold Core full suit (back zip) in all black. I believe it was from LeisurePro and just checking their website they have them still at 265.00 in all black versus the black and blue/purple at 366.00.

Personally, I tried the gold core on and didn't like it... Then again, it seem to need either "dry to dry" or "wet to wet". Problem was, I was trying on a 7mm suit in a dive shop, and the suit was definitely dry, but I was sweating and becoming "wet" about halfway thru pulling it on!

I just got back from a tropical trip where the water temps were in the 75 to 79 degree range.

My wife and I got new 5mm Henderson Hyperstretch suits because we'd gotten chilled wearing our 3mm suits the last trip -- she purchased a 2mm shorty to layer. Similar temps and after an hour or so we were chilled again! She added a 1 mm hooded vest and said it helped. The Hyperstretch suit was way more comfortable than our 10 year old 3mm, but not significantly warmer.

We dive in the lower 40s routinely in our drysuits so we're not wimps in cold. I'm thinking the hyperstretch looses some warmth due to the extremely flexible, soft neoprene. The gold core definitely seemed heavier duty and more dense.

Let us know how it goes.

Yeah they've discontinued the all black.. cos of low demand... bummer!...
Think I'll get it anyway and dye/color it black.. I really dun like blue..:(

yeah the Henderson fit is not bad.. I'v had major problems w Pinnacle fit.. the arms are funnily BIG...

Although I must say the legs are a little short for me on a Size 4 InstaDry..

I went on a LOB and this guy used conditioner! on his body before sliding into a Gold Core..

I use baby oil and its good cos it moisturises ur body from the v harsh salt water anyway!..

Try it.. dun give up on the Gold Core or InstaDry.. it is GOOD!

Thanks SlowRain...
They say they made a mistake and did not actually have one in black..
My local dive store confirmed it last nite..
How to dye neoprene??...

I do a mens only in black and to dye it I would contact henderson and ask what they suggest, not all dye's are the same and you would not want to ruin the suit.

I went on a LOB and this guy used conditioner! on his body before sliding into a Gold Core..

I use baby oil and its good cos it moisturises ur body from the v harsh salt water anyway!..

Try it.. dun give up on the Gold Core or InstaDry.. it is GOOD!

I'd go with conditioner. The oil will cause your neoprene to break down faster.

Back
Top Bottom