Henderson Insta-Dry gloves ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Well, I just went through a pair of (rather expensive) 3 mm Insta-Dry gloves in record time. Paid $48 for these things, they lasted about 30 dives before one of the main seams along the lateral part of the hand gave out, rendering the gloves completely useless.

I purchased these gloves because handling a small camera housing with regular neoprene wet gloves is like trying to pick up an ice cube. I was hoping they'd provide a better grip on the camera, and perhaps (as advertised) provide a bit more warmth than standard neoprene wet gloves.

The first proved to be the case, as these gloves provided a very good grip on whatever I handled (including, I found out, too much grip on my spool when I shot an SMB). However, they proved not to be discernibly warmer than the 3mm Harvey's gloves I was using prior to these.

The down sides ...

- cost ... they're 50% more expensive than standard neoprene gloves
- durability ... they lasted about half as long as the wet gloves I've been using
- ease of use ... they're a serious hassle to get on and off, especially when wet

Oh ... and there's nothing dry about them, so even the choice of name is misleading.

Overall, they're one of the more disappointing scuba products I've purchased.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Part II ... so who uses 3 mm wet gloves in cold water? What kind do you use? What do you like about them? What don't you like about them?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob, thanks for posting the critique of these gloves. I was considering buying a pair. You saved me some money.

Bob-

Jeanna uses the Scubamax 3mm gloves and loves 'em. She just got a new pair after probably close to 250 dives on the old pair. I used a pair of them before going to dry gloves and liked them as well...very small water exchange and they lasted forever. My hands are the only part of me that gets cold and they did a pretty good job. They did, however, start to fray along the lateral seam, but I applied a small bead of neo cement over the stitching and they held up fine.

If I remember correctly, they were about $30-$35.

Brian

NWGratefulDiver:
Part II ... so who uses 3 mm wet gloves in cold water? What kind do you use? What do you like about them? What don't you like about them?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

3MM is too thin generally for me. But ...

I have a 3MM pair of XCel gloves that seem tough and grippy but cold :(
I used 5MM Akona ones and the thumbs wore through in less than 50 dives from clipping stuff off.
My buddy has 3MM Akona gloves, and tore a seam on them in about 50 dives.
I have som 3MM Small Henderson Gold I think? They are way too loose on me and I dislike them.

I finally settled on 5MM DeepSee gloves with Kevlar. Only had them a few dives so I can't vouch for longevity but they are warm. The 3MM version looks good too for more dexterity, but seems thicker than some due to the Kevlar.

Usually 5MM gives me plenty of flexibility (I cannot press any computer buttons underwater but I dont do that anyway). But I haven't used the Kevlar 5MM ones with camera yet (but I think it's doable)

Bob,

Why don't you give those DIY rings a try and then you can go dry and try some different gloves with a Polartec fleece liner?

How about these "dry" gloves with fleece liner?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=4468

Or how about a 3mm neoprene glove inside the above "dry" glove?

Or how about these as the liner with the above "dry" glove?
Glacier Gloves

I have very limited experience in the cold but I'm just trying to help.

By the way, my Henderson Gold Core 3mm have 70 dives and are now starting to come apart at the seams. :frown2: They fit perfect and I love them but was hoping to get more life out of them.

Richard

bob, have you considered buying 5 or 7 mm gloves but cutting them so as to leave your finger tips bare (from roughly the second joint onwards). Or maybe you could wear 1 or 2 mm glove underneath (uncut) if you need some coverage for the finger tips. I've seen people do this in warmer waters and in pictures. Also, when I was in the army I sometimes used to wear regular gloves that left the fingers partially bare so that I could do the things I needed to do without freezing.

NWGratefulDiver:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob,

I'm also in the NW - Seattle to be exact. I use 3mm gloves but only in the summer to fall time when the water is at least 50 degrees. I got mine from Marine Supply in Seattle (north of Lake Union in Fremont). The make is Stearns and they only cost maybe $15. The only thing I don't care for is that the gauntlet is a little long for my drysuit - but for the price I can't complain. They also have a nice rubber or latex surface on the palms and fingers that make it real easy to manipulate whatever. I wear my 5mm gloves now but I'm sure the 3mm would be fine on shorter dives. Otherwise go the dry glove route but I've been told that 5mm's will keep you warmer (this from friends who dive dry gloves for the dexterity).

Jason

I use the $6.00 3mm 'fishing' gloves from Walmart. I've only got about 10 dives on 'em, (plus a couple of some snow caving trips), and they seem to be holding up well.

For $6, you can throw a couple of extra pair in your dive bag, just in case...

Did you happen to see the thread (quite a while ago) about putting plastic tool handle dip on the fingers to improve grip and durability? Seems like a good idea to me.

Addited: I used 'em diving in Monterey, and never got cold fingers.

Hey Bob

Sorry to hear about the glove drama.

I can't belive you're diving 3mm up there. When I dive up there in September, the 3mm's stay home. The first time I dived up there 3 years ago, I brought my SoCal 3mm's (with cut fingers) and I came out of dive one with blocks of wood and not hands.

I just changed gloves this year. When I'm diving wet gloves, I now dive the Seasoft gloves. Hands down (oops, sorry) the best wet gloves I've ever dived. Tough, supple, and easy to use. The forefinger and thumb are a thinner neo than the rest of the glove (5mm / 3mm) and make it really easy to manage a small P&S Camera.

For lobstering, I use the pro Kevlar gloves. Comfy, tight but strechy (less water wash) and they're great for 75 - 90 minute lobster hunts in the cool winter water.

I got mine at DEMA. I can't recommend them enough. None of the seal skin crapola that make them impossible to get on for dive #2. They just work. Simply the best gloves I've ever used.

---
Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom