Henderson drysuit and other neoprene questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveandclimb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I can get a great condition Henderson 7mm neoprene drysuit for $180 which seam worth it to make the move to dry. Right now I am diving a Bare 7mm fullsuit and while I don't get particularly cold during dives, as the summer months end it sure is chilly on the shore and I would like to extend my diving season into the the late fall and early winter. Anyway, before I go for it I have a few questions. 1) Does anybody have any experience with Henderson drysuits? It seems pretty good with SI Tech valves etc. 2) Is it any harder to install a P-valve on a neoprene drysuit then it is on a trilam one? 3) What should I be inspecting before I buy in terms of zipper etc? What are warning signs of a bad drysuit? 4) Given that I am not cold in a 7mm wetsuit, do I need much in the way of insulation under a 7mm drysuit? I was thinking Under Armor and a flease would suffice until the winter and than I could add some thermals. 5) How does maintenance differ in a neoprene drysuit from a shell type drysuit. 6) What kind of weighting should I expect to need? Is adding 5lb to the current 22lb I use enough?
Thanks.

For my money the first sign of a bad drysuit is 7mm neoprene. Neoprene DSs are HUGELY bouyant. Their bouyancy and insulation vary significantly with depth. The material WILL break down over time and start seeping.

Now $180 might be cheap enough to almost consider it a disposable suit, but I'm more inclined to spend big money on good stuff than to take a "great deal" on a POS.

I speak from experience, my first DS was a 7mm neo.

For my money the first sign of a bad drysuit is 7mm neoprene. Neoprene DSs are HUGELY bouyant. Their bouyancy and insulation vary significantly with depth. The material WILL break down over time and start seeping.

Now $180 might be cheap enough to almost consider it a disposable suit, but I'm more inclined to spend big money on good stuff than to take a "great deal" on a POS.

I speak from experience, my first DS was a 7mm neo.
Is the bouyancy waay more than that of a 7mm wetsuit?

Yes

Wetsuits have bouyancy because of the material they are made of. Drysuits have bouyancy because of the airspace inside the suit. Neo drysuits have the two added together. I currently dive with 26 pounds of lead in a DUI CLX450 15 years ago I was using 40+ in in my neo and my body was in much better shape back then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom