HENDERSON 7mm gold core semi dry vs 5 MM two piece

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jfm617

New
Reaction score
First of all I'd like to thank everybody who responds to these threads - the information provided has been great from the many I've read. Heres my first question (Its probably been asked but I didn't find this specifically):

I'm new to diving :) just finished OW and plan on moving forward. Most of my diving will be recreational and done in the Boston area (cold water) with the occasional trip to the Carribbean or Mexico as time and the wallet allows. I found an LDS that I believe is offering me a pretty good deal (Since its me and the girlfriend and we are getting full packages). What I'm looking for info on is my choice of suits.

I tried on a Henderson 7MM semi dry - It fit well (a little long but the LDS said that can be easily fixed and figured it into the price). I was originally planning on buying a 2 piece Gold Core 5MM figuring this will allow a total of 10MM across my core torso with 5MM on my limbs and I could use the jacket in warmer water when travelling (In other words a decent compromise). The LDS was really pushing the Semi dry for warmth in the New england area (I will agree it was quite toasty). I found both pretty much equally comfortbale in terms of fit. The semi dry was a bit of a bear to get off (is this normal? I think it was because I have shoulders like a pro lineman and had to squeeze them through that front opening).

Henderson 7MM (gold core-hyperstretch combo) semi dry vs 5MM gold core 2 piece

Any and all help is greatly appreciated on this topic!

In addition the other gear Im considering is as follows:
From what I've read its a decent compromise between performance and price but any and all comments would be appreciated.

Seaquest PRO QD+ BC
Aqua Lung Titan LX Reglator
Aqua Lung LPO Octo
Suunto Favor computer
Steel 100 HP tank (I was told its a good idea in the north for weight reduction)

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
GO RED SOX

John

Jfm617

I've got a Scubapro Scotia 6.5mm semi dry which is a great fit but a bit of a b***** to get off since the seals are so good and because it incorporates a dry suit zipper across the back. I've read that it's much easier if I were to wear a lycra 0.5mm skin underneath. I'm going to check this out.

Just make sure shortening your suit doesn't compromise the seals so that what's meant to be a semi-dry becomes a full wet suit.

As for the other equipment I have a SeaQuest Pro QD+ which I think is great - well made, very comfortable and I like the integrated weights.

I have an Oceanic Alpha 7 CDX but I've read that the Aqualung is a good regulator. I've a Suunto Mosquito which is very good for the price. For equipment reviews check out Rodale's Scuba Diving at: www.scubadiving.com if you haven't already done so.

regards

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom