Henderson 7/5 Gold Core

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IwakuniDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well I must say that I'm not entirely please with my $370 wetsuit. Here's my list of complaints and please, if anyone sees something that's normal and/or expected, please let me know.

1. This suit is a pain to get on. Mainly due to the fact that it doesn't have zippers on the ankles.
2. The back zipper seems to leak like a siv. Oddly enough, the suit is still remarkably warm. The sleeves, ankles, and neck are very watertight though.
3. The rubber knee pads are hell on my knee caps out of the water.
4. The stitching on one of my wrists is coming apart. Not the kind of quality I'd expect from such an expensive suit. And I have only dove it 20 times.

Anyone else having these kinds of issues? Ultimately, when it gets colder I'll be wearing a 5mm core anyway and that will make the zipper leak less of an issue and like I said, the suit is still quite warm even at 65 degrees with no core or hood. But overall I'm just not very pleased with this purchase.

1. I am happy tou have ankle zippers and can see where that would be dificult. I suppose it's compounded on the Gold core since it lacks interior fabric reinforcement you you need to be careful about manhandling the stuff. Suit snot might help with some apsects of donning but not with the ankle aspect.

2. If the water is cold most back zips will have noticable leakage and since you claim it to be warm it may be more shocking than seive like. It's not a drysip and that flap will only do so much. Adding a core warmer will put an end to the back seepage problem. Infortunately if it's fabric lined and worn under it will defeat the skin-in design of the gold core. This would complement the suit very well: http://www.bare-wetsuits.com/product_details.aspx?pid=003128&dept_id=102
3. I don't understand the knee pad issue.
4. I wish I could say that a loose thread here ot there is an odity. Tie it off or lay a small dab of wetsuit cement on the thread end.

No hood or core? No doubt your neck opening was the biggest offender. If you were comfortable then what the heck.

Pete

I use a Quantum 5/4/3 and can usually get it on in just under a minute - it goes on really easily. The wrist and ankle areas are 3mm which are covered with gloves and boots eventually (could go gauntlet style gloves if necessary), with 5mm and 4mm in diverse areas around the remaining suit. Now, theres no more "divers" exhaustion before the dive trying to pull and work on a regular neoprene wetsuit which seems to take hours.

-----

Mike.

Zippers would compromise the excellent seals in the Gold Core. I use a 50/50 mix of water and baby shampoo to just slip into my 5mm.

awap:
Zippers would compromise the excellent seals in the Gold Core. I use a 50/50 mix of water and baby shampoo to just slip into my 5mm.

That is a really good idea. I'll have to try that.

Thanks!

1. I agree with you, so I got 1mm miroprene under the gold core. And then, there is no issue at all. I don't like the ankle zipper because it makes the suit bulky.
2. It is a wet zipper, not dry suit zipper.
3. I don't get what you are saying though. The knee pad works very well on mine.
4. Contact the customer service for the warranty. They will replace it with the new one.

One part hair conditioner and 3 parts water works really well also. For some reason that stuff is slicker than glass. :)

-----

Mike.

IwakuniDiver:
Well I must say that I'm not entirely please with my $370 wetsuit. Here's my list of complaints and please, if anyone sees something that's normal and/or expected, please let me know.

1. This suit is a pain to get on. Mainly due to the fact that it doesn't have zippers on the ankles.
2. The back zipper seems to leak like a siv. Oddly enough, the suit is still remarkably warm. The sleeves, ankles, and neck are very watertight though.
3. The rubber knee pads are hell on my knee caps out of the water.
4. The stitching on one of my wrists is coming apart. Not the kind of quality I'd expect from such an expensive suit. And I have only dove it 20 times.

Anyone else having these kinds of issues? Ultimately, when it gets colder I'll be wearing a 5mm core anyway and that will make the zipper leak less of an issue and like I said, the suit is still quite warm even at 65 degrees with no core or hood. But overall I'm just not very pleased with this purchase.

I use a Henderson gold core semi-dry suit. Some of the design features are simular to the suit you're using.

1)not having zippers in the ankles cuts down on water entry. My son uses a suit with ankle zippers and his lower legs get cold.
To get the suit on, try turning the legs inside out down to the knee and putting a mild soap and water solution (e.g. baby sampoo) on the lower leg. Then roll the suit on the rest of the way.

2)Make sure the flap that covers the zipper is in place before you zip up. My zipper is across the chest and it does leak but it seems to stop once I decend.

3)Are the knee pads on your knees or below them? Make sure the legs are pulled up enough that the top of the pad is below your knee cap.

4)Henderson does have a one year manufacturing defect warranty. Check their web site for details.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom