Hematoma from donating blood

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cold diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I donated blood on Wednesday May 14, 2008 while they were drawing my blood I developed a hematoma. I have a boat dive planned for Sunday May 18, 2008. will this put me at risk while I'm diving?

No, but I'm a little confused about your dates.

you should be confused I looked at the calendar wrong I donated blood on the 21st and plan to dive on the 25th.

There are too many dumb RN's at the redcross who tells folks to flex their arm at the elbow, instead of applying direct pressure with an extended arm. This sometime forces the laceration on the vein to remain open and not clot.

It apparently is a common belief among phlebotomist, but to me, an extended arm with direct pressure is much more effective. An RN tried to force me to do that when I donated blood, and of course, I didn't listen to her. Flexing the arm prevent the pressure bandage from doing its job, and actually relieves pressure from the venipuncture site than increasing it. Almost like causing a vacumn to suck blood out.

The hematoma developed during the insertion, they ended up using my other arm.

I used to donate frequently as so many of the phlebotomists told me to bend my are over the cotton swab. I just politely refused.

Hi Cold Diver,

It depends. If severe swelling, pressure, discomfort or bruising are present on the date of diving, it would be prudent to skip the SCUBA until it spontaneously resolves or is treated.

Most likely it was a small hematoma and would be expected to be no more than a minor annoyance, if that, four days after occurrence.

The affected area should be protected from additional trauma until it completely heals.

Helpful?

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom