Help!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Response from Universal Scuba Distributors to a questionable and misleading posting shown at the scubaboard.com/t33955/s.html

<<"DEE: A $450 damage deposit? I've never heard of that one, at least no around here. Be sure to replace that valve o-ring. At that rate, they're liable to charge you the price of a new tank for damages! " >>

We have found it necessary to charge this amount because we rent very high quality equipment unlike most shops. Because of this fact, in the past, we have had thieves driving all the way from Fla to steal our equipment for the cost of a deposit. The higher deposit has solved this problem.

<<"DONBON: didn't charge for BC rental because he said that a "tiny" leak had been reported on the bc, but that it should cause no problems....">>

Note that there was no charge ! In case your not aware, many manufacturers has had minor leakage problems with the new bladderless BCD designs due to flaws in the lamination of the fabric. We have observed this from 5 different companies. The minor leaks still allow the BCD to remain firm for 8 hours, which is the industry standard test. It will not affect a divers buoyancy performance during a dive.

<< "DONBON: And maybe dad didn't have enough weights on or just had bad day, but he could not maintain anything near neutral buoyancy. I learned my lesson for sure -- next time I'll definatley ask for a different BC.">>

This is a skill problem, not equipment related. Keep in mind this is the same person who cannot remove the regulator from his tank valve, and never called the store to ask for help.

<<"Dee: Universal Scuba explains a whole lot! They have their own pocketbook in mind first, customer safety last. We'll have a chat the next time I see you and I'll tell you about Universal. Please don't do that again. ">>

Your comment of "customer safety last" is way out of line. We are the only dive shop in over 28 years who have NOT killed any students, has zero reported injuries from scuba training or equipment malfunctions, nor has ever been sued, and has a perfect credit histoy. We also have the best equipment repair facility in the state with factory certified techs on site 6 days a week. I suggest that should Dee decide to run her mouth, she should tell the truth, our safety record is without fault, and remains unsurpassed within the USA. Study the other local 27 dive stores and you will find there are none better.

Way to go Teknadv3x you tell them how it is. Sounds like some dummy got the yoke to tight, must not have heard that part in open water class.

Universal Scuba was about the first dive shop to help and spred the word about Twin Lakes. So if this board is A place for a few to slam dive shops and other divers I dont know if I should be a part of it.
R & D and Universal Scuba are the two bestshops in west Houston, and for all of you who do not like Universal, well I just dont know. They have aways treated me and my friends fair and given good advice and have A+ gear they rent.
So next time maybe somebody should hold there mouth shut
insted of running it!

Teknadv3x (Gordon or Gregg?) and captjohn...

You are right one one point, I should not have publically made this comment...
They have their own pocketbook in mind first, customer safety last.
I should have kept it private between dobon and myself and the safety comment was out of line in that I didn't mean the way it was taken. For that I do apologize. I know how damaging such comments can be to a business and that was not my intent. Everyone should make their own opinions about you and your business. But I hold to my opinion of your establishment. People can take it or not.

I said nothing about you killing anyone. The leaking BC may or may not have been safe to send out. But I would hope that any business would lean toward the conservative and refuse to send out leaking gear just in case they were wrong in their assumption of it's safety. That's the safety issue I was referring to. And what's your credit rating got to do with anything? Now it's you who is exagerating. I couldn't care less what kind of credit you may or may not have.

You want to know why I finally said something about your business? For the first time ever, by the way. I don't want to see someone else treated like I was. I used to be one of your loyal customers and referred everyone we knew to you. Your equipment line at that time was excellent and we bought most of our gear from you, recreation and tech alike. Your customer service was great, both brothers and their wives were very helpful and knowledgeable. But over time, time and again, we were charged at checkout more for services rendered than the prices we were quoted. I won't make public our exact problem other than to say your response to the increase in price when we appeared to pick up our gear and tanks was "That's what we're charging now, pay it or leave your equipment as payment." The price was almost 3 times the amount we were quoted. I don't know which owner/brother, Gordon or Gregg, you are but the fellow who does NOT work on the equipment told us this. I can understand unexpected problems but there were none. We haven't been back and won't. As for your highly trained technicians, I eventually had to take my Octo+ somewhere else to get the leak stopped...after your man/men had tried 3 times to fix it. It was your personal superior attitude of 'our stuff is best and the rest is junk', and inconsistant service prices that sent us to other dive shops.

Neither of you have been on this board very long. But if you had taken the time to read through any of the past posts, you'd know that specific shops seldom get talked about very much. Other than to find out which ones are in the vicinity of a dive location. A lot of shops and individuals have been involved in making Twin Lakes what it is. Either by the work they've done there, the help in spreading the word about it's existance, and by supporting it week after week. Like you, we were some of the first a couple years ago. All that means is we truly believe in the place and are willing to do all we can to make it a good place for all divers, students and carded divers both.

So your future involvement here is up to you.

Back
Top Bottom