Help with spring straps for jetfins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alexxred

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I purchased some springs straps for my jet fins. They suggest putting some plastic tubing inside the attachment holes that you bend the pin into to prevent wear. Anyone got any ideas on what type of tubing would be suitable?

Also I had to cut down the spring, which has worked well but I am having trouble bending the end of the spring back into the required hook shape. Anyone got any ideas on the best way to do that?

Thanks

Alex

To rebend the spring, stick a slotted screwdriver into the coils (I like to leave 2 coils in the bend) and out the end of the spring. Lift the screwdriver, levering the coils up 90 degrees.

That worked quite effectivly. Still stumped on the tubing, no idea where I could find anything narrow enough to get into the buckle holes on the fin. Could always drill them out wider, but I really dont want to make any permanant changes like that if I don't have to.

I've never messed with springs on jets but how about something like a swizzle stick - the little plastic straws in mixed drinks?

You could contact the mfg of the straps and ask what they recommend for tubing. On the other hand, the only reason you'll need it is if the ends of the inserts are not going straight into the fin. If they are straight in there is no stress on the edge of the hole. Yes, I agree the "trick" is to achieve that straight approach; it took me more than one attempt.

I tried to put the strings on my fins, but i gave up after i messed up a few times. I would just recommend buying some off of leisurepro or a lds that are meant for the jet fins rather than trying to make some.

Back
Top Bottom