Help with size 3mm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Makushr1

Registered
Reaction score
I always have a hard time buying clothes. I am about 5'8, small waist, but very broad shoulders. I have been a competitive swimmer for a long time, so I am very muscular. I usually wear a medium shirt, but some of the shirts are really tight around my shoulders and chest, while a large is too long and baggy. Any Ideas on the size of a wet suit, or what brand? I dont want to drop too much on it, so any help?

If you don't have an off-the-shelf body-type, you're going to have a hard time getting a wet suit that fits well all over unless you pop for one of those megabuck stretchy Hendersons. Otherwise it's the custom option.

Your best chance of getting a good fit is to try them on. And I do like my "megabuck stretchy Henderson" (Tom Winters). It's worth the cost for a good fit and comfort while diving. Plus very easy to get on.

Makushr1:
I always have a hard time buying clothes. I am about 5'8, small waist, but very broad shoulders. I have been a competitive swimmer for a long time, so I am very muscular. I usually wear a medium shirt, but some of the shirts are really tight around my shoulders and chest, while a large is too long and baggy. Any Ideas on the size of a wet suit, or what brand? I dont want to drop too much on it, so any help?
With respect to size, your best bet is to check out the size chart on a company's web site or in its brochure. Most makers of wet suits have multiple sizes -- not just S, M, L, XL 2XL, etc. but 2, 3, or even 4 configurations (short, tall, fat, thin, etc.) of each of those basic sizes. Just compare your measurements (height, weight, waist, shoulders, inseam, etc.) with the various configurations until you find the size of wet suit that best fits you.

With respect to brand, I am partial to Pinnacle wet suits (PinnacleAquatics.com). I own a Pinnacle Fusion 5/4 mm. It cost me $340 Canadian (about $290 US at present exchange rates) -- perhaps more than a university student might be able/willing to pay, but a good investment nevertheless.

In any case, I am sure that more experienced members of ScubaBoard will have more good advice for you than I've been able to provide. If you follow up their leads, I am sure that you'll be able to find a wet suit that fits your body and your wallet, and will serve you for many dives to come.

Dave

One of the manufactures that makes a lot of the in-between sizes is Bare. Check out their sizing chart here: http://www.scubatoys.com/store/wetsuits/sizebare.asp

Looks like a Medium Large Short might be a possiblity. Since you're just in college station, if you get the chance to come up to Dallas, we have the in stock and you can give them a try.

Haha, thanks Scuba Toys, I just bought my BC from your site (Reef Rider). If I do ever make it to Dallas, I'll be sure to stop by your store.

Makushr1:
Haha, thanks Scuba Toys, I just bought my BC from your site (Reef Rider). If I do ever make it to Dallas, I'll be sure to stop by your store.
It would definitely be worth the effort to get to try on the suit, and scubatoys provides first class customer service.

Bare makes a lot of sizes but trying them on is the acid test. The numbers do not tell all.

By the numbers I am a perfect XLS however it so happens that I have a long torso and Bare does not include a torso circumference in their sizing. On me the XLS seats high in my crotch and stops about 2 inches before it ever reaches my armpits!

That's why I say you need to try these things on and you can burn a lot of time and shipping costs sorting it out long sistance.

Pete

Bratface:
Your best chance of getting a good fit is to try them on. And I do like my "megabuck stretchy Henderson" (Tom Winters). It's worth the cost for a good fit and comfort while diving. Plus very easy to get on.

The thing that makes the henderson so easy to get into makes them terrible wet suits for those doing deeper dives.. The material is so soft it compresses quite easily...

I had one and I sold it after only 2 dives.. Luckily on the trip I decided to try it out on I had another suit..

Nowadays I only use custom suits... My choice of material is 231 n2 injected rubitex.. It holds up great at depth

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom