Help with Sinusitis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drewdude

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all need advice/help. After getting a ct scan yesterday I was told today that I have Chronic as well as Acute Sinusitis. In addition I was told it was "with thickness?" and "Air Fluid Levels?" No idea what the thickness and air fluid levels are about. Unfortunately the nurse gave me the info over the phone and my gen prac doctor was not available to answer questions. I asked her about the thickness and air fluid levels and she could not give me an answer. She told me that the doc stated to her that my sinuses are in a bad way. Any how......anyone suffering the same thing? Or can anyone fill me in how they got treated. I'm going on an extensive dive trip in Feb and don't want to miss out. I've had this for some time now. I can remember only one reverse squeeze I had this summer diving in 65 degree water at about 25-30'. But after I dive, I am usually significantly more stuffy w/mild headaches.

thanks

Sounds like you had a CT scan, or an MRI. Air-fluid levels indicate that there is fluid sitting stagnant in the sinuses, which is abnormal and suggests that they are not draining well. Thickening of the mucosa lining the walls implies inflammation, often chronic.

Sinuses are normally air-filled spaces, lined with a mucus-secreting tissue. The mucus drains out of the sinuses into the nasopharynx and is normally swallowed, or in disease states, sneezed or coughed out. When the orifices of the sinuses become blocked by swelling due to allergy or viral disease, fluid accumulates in the sinuses. The fluid is protein-rich, and the sinuses are not sterile environments, so they often turn into bacterial culture sites, thus acute sinusitis.

The treatment of sinusitis involves two things -- controlling the bacterial overgrowth, and getting the fluid in the sinuses to drain. This often involves addressing the underlying cause of the blockage, by treating allergies with desesitization or with topical steroids, and by treating congestion with decongestants. Antibiotic treatment for sinusitis is generally prolonged, as there is not good penetration of antibiotics into the sinus spaces. Two to four weeks of antibiotic therapy is often required, and multiple courses of antibiotics may be necessary.

Surgery for chronic sinusitis is aimed at increasing the openings between the sinuses and the nasopharynx, and thus permitting fluid drainage.

In addition to pharmacologic therapy, some people seem to get good results with saline nasal irrigations. I know some SBers recommend a Neti pot for doing this.

The big risk of sinus disease and diving is failure to equalize, whether descending or ascending. This can be extremely painful, and a cause of post-dive headaches.

I would guess that your PMD will most likely start you on antibiotics, and possibly nasal steroids. Those would be typical approaches. If your condition does not respond to basic therapy, a referral to an ENT doc would be in order.

Obviously, this is not specific advice aimed at you individually, but simply a brief discussion of the main points about sinusitis. Hope it's helpful.

See an ENT!

This is what I'm currently doing antibioticsx2 daily, steroid inhalerX1 daily, doing a sinus rinsex2 daily (my own therapy). Been on the inhaler over two weeks, no noticeable improvement. Antibiotics just 4 days. Yeah, ENT in the future, but only one ENT doc in my area, so he's very busy. See him in a week. Just hoping that surgery is not in my future (at least not until after the dive trip).

Just out of curiosity, has anyone done the surgery? And if so what kind of recoop time is needed?

thx

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom