Help with Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Weird thread. The post by mksmith713 is really bizarre and not at all based in truth. I also don't understand the post that said CCV is great if you have tons of $$$. We're about to make our third trip to CCV. It's our low cost, dive your butt off destination.

Few visitors to Roatan have looked at anything other than one option or one resort.

Depends on what you want from a vacation. If I was trying to do a vacation with some diving, I'd probably go someplace else besides Roatan.

But it does have a certain attraction for many searching for a more varied vacation than just dive-dive-dive.

If you did pick Roatan, wanting the kind of vacation with one or maybe two dives a day, then on to a good time in the evening along West Bay at the many restaurants and bars~ you really can not beat the experience and economy of the many (non AI) guest houses that line the West and Northwest shores.

If you want a dive vacation, where you value the dive experience first and foremost, an AI is the only way to go, financially as well as time-wise. Pure math will show you that anything over two dives per day will steer your wallet to an AI. Then factor in the other things like your time spent getting meals, walking back and forth from room to dive op, etc. At an AI, it's sleep, eat and dive.

There is nothing wrong with coming to paradise and wanting one or two dives a day and then going off to sample all the island's beers and rum. You just have to admit and understand what you want out of your seven days in the Sun.

Most think its accepting a badge of dishonor to admit they're there for anything less than "saturation diving". That is their own misconception. Not everyone is of the mindset that they need 5x dives a day.

This dichotomy and argument exists nowhere else in the Caribbean that I am aware of. On Roatan, you have several established AI's, four of which are quite remote. You also have dozens of recent start-up day dive-ops and guest houses. Somehow, it has become a strange undercurrent to the guest house/day dive-op marketing to deride the total immersion featured at the AI's, versus the conceptual island "atmosphere and character" inferred at the guest house, ala-carte environment.

Most often, proponents of the guest house/day dive-op option paint it as the only way for everyone to go. It just aint so. It's great for many- but only for those who understand what is offered... and what they want.

There really is no need for this distortion of details. Again, I think it stems from the supposition that anything else than a 5x a day schedule might be perceived as less than diver-hondo-macho. Clinging to that is so wrong. Or, it might be a slanted sales pitch. (And that would be a redundancy!)

I am selling nothing. On Roatan or SCUBA Board. I do "push" Roatan as a dive destination, and encourage all visitors to understand that they are being offered choices and options. Do you want a dive vacation, or do you want a vacation with diving? Make that decision first. At the same time, my preferred perspective is that of an AI dive-dive-dive Nitrogen junkie. I know the other options, but the'yre simply not for me. I understand who might enjoy these other ala-carte options and what they offer, however.

History built the foundation: In the 70's we went to Cayman and maxed out by pushing it with two boat rides each day with our steel 72's, while our wives and girlfriends usually sat out the second dive and sunbathed or went to the grocery store. That for us (in that era) was maximum diving and for girls was a great mixed vacation. Nobody thought any less of the situation if you had a sun tan, nor any more of it if you were stinky wet.

Type A personalities built, designed and drove the historic dive clientele. Now come the "dive factories". The easiest ones to see are Liveaboards. Dive, eat, dive, eat, nap, dive, sleep, eat. There are resorts like this, too. The AI resorts on Roatan can give you a max of 2 (Paya Bay) ,3 (AKR & FIBR), and 4+ (CCV) a day without a lot of hassle or money. If you want to dive, eat, sleep... there you have it. Liveabaords that don't rock. Those aforementioned AI's have obviously different degrees of non-dive attractiveness, as well, but on Roatan- it's still pretty basic- Roatan aint the Ritz, not nowhere, not no how.

If you want to live in the fun dream world that comes to mind when you listen to Jimmy Buffett songs on your car CD while driving to work, Roatan has many options that will give you a vacation with some diving. And good for you! And... depending upon your imagination, it might be Umbrella Drinks- or it might be offgassing with a Diet Coke in a hammock.

Just understand, admit and know what you want. Also understand what you are willing to give up to accomplish this. You really can't have it both ways on this- so far- very much so, a diver's island.

Last edited:
Weird thread. The post by mksmith713 is really bizarre and not at all based in truth. I also don't understand the post that said CCV is great if you have tons of $$$.

We're about to make our third trip to CCV. It's our low cost, dive your butt off destination.

Beyond that, I don't need to say anymore about the details of CCV, Fantasy Island, Coconut, etc. There are a few hundred threads under hear which answer the original question in much detail.

I have to repost, as upon reading I realized I pointed fingers in the wrong direction. mksmith's post simply didn't make sense to me by saying that CCV was an expensive choice, as it's really very economical, albeit not for teens living out of their backpacks in hostels.

The post by revid13 was completely erroneous, and since it was a one and done post on SB, I assume just a troll, who's since gone back under their bridge.

Hi,
My wife and I went for 10 days in March. I scouted all the dive shops on the net , the forum and on land. I would emphatically endorse Coconut Tree Divers. They were safe, accomodating , inexpensive, neat , clean - you name it. The dive groups were small . The dm were knowledgable. They had am and afternoon dives. They offered various locations all by boat.They even moved their boats to the other side of the island when some weather was coming ashore . They then put us in vans to the boats at no extra charge. I did speak to people who stayed at akr,fantasy island, and cocoview , I feel we did more dives . I also found (my opinion of course) that when I spoke to some of the people who stayed at the all inclusive dive places they did not recieve the same effort we recieved since we payed per dive.Who knows - just my opinion! All in all if you want to dive alot ,have a cold drink afterwards , make some new friends definetly check out Coconut Tree. You can stay in town ,walk to the shop and walk to dinner.
good luck + have fun.

Roatan is not what it appears to be. Be very careful if you go there. They hate Americans and all other foreign visitors and business people. They can falsely accuse you of something and detain you until you pay a bribe. This is not a joke. It happens all the time. The government is corrupt and the place is over-run by drug smugglers.
The locals live in constant fear. It's basically controlled by a handful of greedy people who run the whole island. What happened on Aruba happens in Roatan only it does not make the six o'clock news. They hush it up. That's how bad it is. There are a lot of other places to go on a family vacation. It's not worth the risk.

I lived on Roatan for 4 months. In other posts I too mentioned some occasional stops on the road. Just be polite and don't give anyone any money and you'll be fine. Yes it's corrupt but I don't consider it dangerous at all. I travelled the roads almost daily and was only stopped 3 or 4 times. Only once on a dirt road late at night was I even concerned. I was surrounded by 5 armed men in uniforms that just kept talking in Spanish. They either didn't speak or pretended not to speak English. When I grabbed my cell phone and said "American Embassy", they suddenly told me to go on my way. Again, this was on a rarely traveled dirt road on the far north end of the island at night and you shouldn't do that anywhere.

I will also mention however that I have my name on a list with the American Embassy and they send announcements about the situations in Roatan frequently. Just last week they did indicate more road blocks and unhappiness with Americans all because of problems with the local Electric company. The rates are outrageous and the native sometimes get restless over matters like this and you can't blame them. They have some of the highest electric rates in the world while being one of the poorest nations in the world. Bad situation.

I left Roatan myself for many reasons and the corruption was part of it. As a tourist you'll never know it exist however. You'll rarely find any serious issues being a visitor to the island. I found most of the people to be extremely friendly but there are always exceptions of course.

In addition to living there I also stayed at several resorts several times. I enjoyed all of them and most are good values.

Paya Bay - Secluded far north end. Very nice and family owned, diving farmed out to another outfit but they pick you up in a boat daily. Private beaches.
Reef House - South side. Old but good diving with no crowds. Family Owned. On a very tiny key very far from most of Roatan. I like this place a lot and have been there a few times.
Bay Islands Beach Resort - nice beach bar, good food, good diving. Spooky Channel is way over rated.
Anthony's Keys - Large, nice, lots to do, varied pricing, good diving. Too rigid for me.

Just thought I would mention, don't expect what you would consider a 5 star accomadations or 5 star food. Our objective was to dive, dive, dive and Roatan is the place to do that. They were clean, and people were friendly. AMAZING REEF SYSTEM!!!! Albiet, I've not been to a ton of destinations, but the reef system is healthy! The colors - amazing. Micro life abundant but larger fish populations are low. From what I've been told, they have over fished and now realize to curb that. RoatanMan gave good advise when I was looking in March and I should have brought my magnifying glass. I lagged behind everyone because I was caught up finding critters.:popcorn:

Jill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom