Help with Regulator Apeks XTX 50 or XTX 40

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ikecebu

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello, I am new to diving and I want to know the difference between the Apeks XTX 50 and the XTX 40. What are also the benefits of a regulator with diver adjustable inhalation resistance? Is there really any need for this or is this just another sales pitch?

If you'll dive deep, inhalation resistance is useful, you can really feel the difference as you go deeper than 30m. I am an apeks user as well, one thing I should remind you; xtx40 and 50 first stages have only one HP port, if you'll buy a wireless dive computer you'll need more than one HP port(to see tank pressure both analog and digital).
ps.But I don't think of buying a wireless computer because you pay one more computer price for its transmitter.

at last; go with XTX50

The 40 and the 50 use the same first stage, the XTX 50 second stage comes with both the wide and narrow exhaust tee where the xtx 40 only comes with the narrow, but it can use both.

I own an xtx 40 and as far as I'm concerned it's the same as the xtx 50. Oh yeah, the venturi on the 50 is ratcheted! Just 2 different price points, but the performance is the same.

There are 2 HP ports on both the 40 and the 50 since they use the same first stage!
The xtx40/50 with the DS4 first stage only have one HP port.

Wys

What are also the benefits of a regulator with diver adjustable inhalation resistance? Is there really any need for this or is this just another sales pitch?

Hello Ikecebu,

The down side of a user adjustable second stage is that it adds to the total parts count therefore more to go wrong. E.g. more o-rings to fail. Along the same lines, it might be more expensive/complicated to service...but not by much.

The upside is that it allows the regulator to be tuned to minimum cracking pressure. If the diver needs to de-tune it temporally he has that option. Examples of this would be facing into a current, when his head position changes i.e. going from a face forward position to a face down position...there are probably a few more examples, but you get the idea. The adjustment is also a plus when tank pressures change and the first stage intermediate pressure changes because of it....this is more true with a non-balanced first stage. Finally, by adjusting the knob all the way out during storage helps to reduce the wear/engraving on the soft seat.

Hope this helps,

c

Thank you all for the advice. Its great to here from divers with actual experience with these regulators. I plan to do my diving in temperate waters and dive at a maximum depth of 80 to 90 feet. Which regulator do you recommend for this XTX 50 or XTX 40.

Thank you also for clarifying the 1st stage. With this in mind I'll opt with the DST 1st stage since it has 2 HP ports compared with the DS4.

Save your money and buy the xtx40 you may be able to find the atx 40 or 50 for even less!

Back
Top Bottom