Help with picking a new dive computer!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lamnid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi!

I am in the market for a new dive computer! To be honest there are a mind boggling array of choices on the market and I am having a little difficulty pinning down which one will be best for me so I thought I might ask for a little advice...

Basically I would like a computer which can offer me the following features at least:

Beeps at me when I am ascending too fast
Calculates my safety stops for me
Gives me my dive profile afterwards
(I quite like the compass option built into some of them as well!)

I have always had my eye on the Suunto D6 because it has always struck me as a swish gizmo but perhaps before I blow £500 on a dive computer just because I got sucked in by the advertising I should check that there isn't another model on the market which would suit me?

I am currently AOW so qualified to 30m but ideally I would like this computer to last me several years so scope for having additional features.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Caz

As a dive guide, For ten years I have used the tri-console Uwatec Prime/Tec which includes,computer,SPG,and compass. I also use a Suunto Mozzie wrist mount. Liesurepro has the Uwatec on sale right now.

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

Another vote for the Cobra 3 from Suunto. Integrated compass, large, easy to read screen, easy to manipulate buttons. Downloadable dives, mixed gases, and with the quick disconnect option, easy to store and travel with.

I like the Suunto Zoop, no compass thou. I also have a D9 with digital compass and would not recommend the digtial compass at all. The Zoop will give you everything you need in single large display.

...... I am in the market for a new dive computer! To be honest there are a mind boggling array of choices on the market and I am having a little difficulty pinning down which one will be best for me so I thought I might ask for a little advice...
We have 108 different dive computer models in our database :depressed: .... use the Dive Computers Research Tool to sort them out and compare them.

Several of them have videos so you can see them in action.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Hello everyone!

Well I know I started this thread a while ago but I have since purchased a Suunto D6 (to be honest I have had my heart set on this computer ever since I started out...I just wasn't sure I wan't to commit to the price tag, but with the launch of the D6i I was able to get hold of a D6 for about £450 so not too bad!) Anyway I have to say I am loving it - owning a dive computer has given me a lot more confidence under the water and it seems to be beeping at me in all the appropriate places so I can assume it is keeping me safe as well :)

Thanks for your suggestions though everyone - it is all valuable stuff,

Caz

Any trouble hearing your D6 beep underwater? My Vyper Air does not beep loud enough and I rarely, if ever hear it.

Hi jar546, actually I have to say that I find the beep on the D6 okay - to the extent that I distinctly remember another diver frowning at me in confusion when the thing did an automatic beep to let me know 30 minutes was up :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom