Help With Organising A Diving Course Holiday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

julieO

New
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I am hoping to book a holiday this summer (I know I have probably left it far too late, but am still hopeful),
I have 2 teenager/adults (16 and 18) who have wanted to learn to dive for a couple of years but have not had the opportunity. They have had 2 mini dives in france 5 years ago. I myself dived a number of times many many years ago. My husband is not a water lover but understands our kids passion.
Have you any advice on booking courses this summer. I have read that Gozo and the Azores are good destinations. (Australia would obviously be ideal but too far for too short a time)
I have gone through various websites but they look as though they're good but are usually designed to sell holidays and not safe diving holidays.
Any hints and information would be very much appreciated.
Julie

We just got back from doing our PADI OW cert in Mauritius. Key thing is to do the elearning on an iPad beforehand. That way, you just need to do the pool and OW dives when you're on the holiday rather than sitting in a classroom for 3 days.

Thats great thanks. Will look into it.

You can complete all academic and confined water ,pool, requirements here locally. Then take referral form on vacation to complete the 4 training dives for certification. We do this in Westchester NY almost every day of the week here .

Thats great thanks, We're not from America but have not booked flights yet. Would you recommend anywhere in the Florida Keys if I could get availability at this late stage

Try rainbow reef or ocean divers

Hi,
you still have plenty of time to book a course, no worries. As soon as you mentioned Gozo here are diving centers in Malta and Gozo which offer OWD courses along with try-diving activities. If we knew which country you are going to travel this summer, we would make more accurate suggestions to choose among!

Your profile lists your location as Jersey, presumably New Jersey. If you're not from America, where are you from? Might guide the answers.

My main piece of advice is to provide for more days diving than you think you'll need. Let's say someone gets bad nasal congestion or sinusitis and can't clear ears or maybe sinuses, or bad bronchitis, and misses a could days. Or someone has more trouble with buoyancy or tolerating being maskless underwater during training, and needs an extra day or two of instruction?

Find out if you guys can get certified locally. Then when you go on a great trip with warm water, excellent viz. & beautiful reef and tropical fish, you've already got your OW cards, can the pressure is off. Dive, have fun, look around...

Richard.

Back
Top Bottom