Help with Mares Isotherm Semi-Dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boogie711:
Water will absolutely get in. The point is that it STAYS in, and doesn't flush. I've been in water as cold as 33 degrees with the thing for short dives. It's not pleasant, but it works.
One guy who dives on our boat uses one. He wears a sweatshirt underneath and it stays dry.

Ralph

rcohn:
One guy who dives on our boat uses one. He wears a sweatshirt underneath and it stays dry.

Ralph

Then you can tell him he's being stupid. A cotton sweatshirt will act like a big sponge - it retains no insulating value when it gets wet. Why tempt fate like that?

I dove with an Isotherm for about 45 dives. Sure, sometimes I get out dry.

Sometimes.

Does anyone own the Mare Evolution wetsuit? I am considering to buy it.

:crafty:

I have this suit for use in UK.

I think it is great! I'm not too sure about drysuits which are like great saggy bag and people wear all their day clothes under it - it is too much like normal life.

I like the Mares semi-dry because it keeps me warm through most of spring/summer/autumn in the UK - I think I have used it down to 12 degrees C. But I was going to buy a chillcheater to go underneath for late autumn for the following reasons:

1) It is off putting if you take the suit off inbetween dives if the wind blows as it is very cold to put it back on!

2) I can sometimes feel a little chill through the cross shoulder dry zip - especially if I reach my arms out in front of me whilst under water - so chill cheater would solve this - as it is thin enough.

3) Chillcheater does not wick water off your skin - so should help prevent some windchill whilst you get changed inbetween dives.

4) Chillcheaters are made to measure so should fit nicely under the semi-dry.

www.chillcheater.co.uk

www.chillcheater.co.uk/products/shop.asp?cid=4&p=1&pid=911

I find my semi-dry great - as I feel more at one with the sea and my surroundings whilst diving - and not lige a great bag full of air!

Hope this helps - PS Do'nt make the mistake I did and lube the dry suit zipper with the usual beeswax - it really messed up the zipp - I had to clean with detergent and lube with silicone grease - now it is Perfect!

PPS used the suit in Egypt -red sea - most thought it was cool looking - and performed well at depth (40m) where my friends got a little chilly in normal wetsuits.

Have fun buddy!

PS - It seems to me that the only reason of taking off my cosy mares semi-dry inbetween dives say (1-2 hrs) is the fact that we need to go to the WC!

I have thought about installing a convenience zip (pee zip) in mine - any advice anyone!??

PPS uk divers regularly have a zip like this as standard on drysuits!

I use my mares semi-dry for ice diving (water temperature approximately 32 F). I haven't really noticed a problem with it at those temperatures. Its the getting in and out of it thats the problem especially after the first dive of the day, thats when I find myself wishing for a dry suit. I just wear a swim suit under my semi-dry. I don't find I need layering at all.

My hands and feet will get a little cold if I am tending lines after my first dive and I stay in my suit. I just add warm water to them and it seems to work for me.

Susceptabiltiy to cold seems to be a very personal thing. I have outlasted many a drysuit diver in my semi-dry in the water.

A convenience zip would be a very nice addition. I will have to consider that as well.

I was looking at a Mares Isotherm online and it didn't look like it came with a hood. Is there a hood that you buy seperate for it or do you have to specify a built in hood?

The hood should come with it, that is the way they are shipped.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom