Help with Itinerary - October '12 trip planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dumaguete, Tagbilaran(Bohol) and Talcoban(Leyte) all have flight to Manila.
I believe someone had written about their transfer from Malapascua to Sogod Bay(Southern Leyte) and it was pretty tedious. It was something like: ferry to Maya from Malapascua, another ferry to North West Leyte, waited couple of hrs for the bus to Ormoc and then van to Massin and finally jeep to Padres Bugoes. 10 hrs trip!!!!
There should be a ferry connecting Northern Bohol with S. Leyte, check it out.

If you are not happy of losing some of your deposit. How about just turn up at Evolution?
Oct is low season in Philippines. Resorts are normally glad to see walk-in customers!!!! And if Evolution is full there are plenty options available and I am sure Matt will show you the way.

Any reason your not considering Alona Beach in Bohol? Making my 4th trip to the Philippines this coming November and find Bohol to be one of my favorites. I just like the beach atmosphere and diving Balicasag island. The island tour is also a nice topside activity. If your sole purpose is diving then maybe there are better places. If you combine everything, I love Alona.

I had mixed feelings about Malapascua. Since my trip there I still read so many recommendations on this forum so i will try it again in November. I dove with TSD and they were fantastic.

If I were you, I would just show up on Malapascua. You do not need to make any reservation in October. You can drop you bags at the dive shop of your choice and spend some time walking around and checking out accommodations.

You could do both Bohol and Malapascua in those 8 days.

I have yet to dive Dumaguet &, Dauin so I cannot comment.

Hope my 2 cents was helpful.

Jeff

Any reason your not considering Alona Beach in Bohol? Making my 4th trip to the Philippines this coming November and find Bohol to be one of my favorites. I just like the beach atmosphere and diving Balicasag island. The island tour is also a nice topside activity. If your sole purpose is diving then maybe there are better places. If you combine everything, I love Alona.

I couldn't agree more about Alona Beach. I will visit in May for my third visit there. I prefer the Alona Beach dives to Balicisag myself but then I am more of a macro photographer. Balicisag gets hit with coral bleaching if they get bad El Nino conditions. Like you say there is a lot more activity topside too in the evening.

I travel frequently to Malapascua and is still one of my favorite places but it is getting more developed. Good variety of sites and critters.

Dauin - pretty quite as most of the dive resorts a good ride outside of Dumaguette. Brilliant sighting of flamboyant cuttlefish last fall.

I can still remember Malapascua in the old day ie. 10 yrs ago. The beach was so much better ie. cleaner and wider.
Diving is the 2nd best in the country after Tubattaha.
Pity that dynamite fishing is still rampage around the area.

BTW, Alona Beach had seen more developers than Malapascua over last 10 yrs. 14yrs ago if you walked down the beach, noone paid you any notice. But nowadays, you will be greeted by several people trying to sell you boat trip! There is a Sub Police Station by the main road now.

I've contacted Evolution in Malapascua and it appears as though I'm liable for some of the cost of the reservation if I cancel last minute, depending upon how many days notice. Disconcerting.

Hi Mark, just to clarify - our cancellation policy is mainly focused on the rooms. Obviously if we hold a room for you and you decide you don't need it at the last minute we may well have turned other bookings away. As for diving, we generally offer credit for future trips if we have not lost out anywhere. Hope that makes sense and doesn't put you off visiting too much!

We're definitely not put off at all Matt. I completely understand your position. No worries.

Thanks for the continued suggestions everyone. It's funny you mention Alona travelpro. Was diving Pt. Lobos here in California yesterday and some other divers, frequent PI travelers amongst them, raved gloriously about it. I can't say it's optimally located for what I'm looking for, but then again, nothing really is :wink:

just my 2 cents after 5 trips to PI now.

I would dive Anileo, very nice diving there, be sure to do the fish feeding and the underwater cross. excellant adventure.....very easy to get to from manila. while in anilao i would definately dive Verde island as well, very close but you may need to reach it from PG and not Anileo. i have been to Balicasag island, Bohol twice now, 2 different trips and LOVE IT. they have several turtles and a big school of jax fish, 1 turtle is 6 to 7 feet long, HUGE in fact. i just returned from my 5th trip to PI last week 9-5-12 . there is a big school of fish on mactan island in front of con tiki divers. worth seeing if you like the big stuff. you can always email me if you want more information see any of my pictures or video. just reply to this thread..........see ya. (or call me in usa)

If you want to minimize flights, then Cebu is a good base to start. From there, I would do (in my opinion) Moalboal (over Malapascua) and then ferry over to Bohol to do the house reefs (BBC highly recommended) and Balicasag Island (about 45 minutes from Alona Beach).

If you visit Anilao and PG, try to make it out to Verde Island (along the passage between Batangas and Mindoro). This is a drift dive area with healthy and dense marine life. However, to get to Verde Island from PG requires a 45-minute banca (outrigger canoe) ride per way.

If going to Southern Leyte (Sogod Bay), it will involve a long ferry ride to Maasin from Cebu then a land transfer to Sogod Bay. The way back to Manila is via Tacloban City which is 4 hours by van or 5 to 6 hours by bus from Sogod Bay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom