Help with fin purchase!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BPaith

Registered
Reaction score
I (re)decided on a mask and am returning my Mares X-Vu in favor of an Atomic Venom. Went to another dive shop today and tried one on, it was my favorite. I wanted the subframe, but the narrow one felt "too" narrow and the regular felt wider than the Venom, so since I was the venom felt perfect on my face, I opted to spend a little extra.

Now I need fins.

I have narrowed it down to these. I decided I do not want a split fin, would really like to have spring straps, whether or not I add them myself! Any recommendations from these?

-Mares Avanti Quattro
-Oceanic Viper
-Mares Superchannel

Is there any others I should consider? I am leaning most heavily towards the Avanti Quattro, but don't want to make a bad purchase as these are my first set.

I have the Mares Avanti Quattro but I have a small foot (I have no idea if this applies to you) and I have to cinch them tight and wear a thick-soled boot. But this is true for most all fins I have tried. Otherwise, I love them.

Can't go wrong with quattro's. I have SP seawing novas now and like them as well. I have seen them around for $125 (much less than the $200 I paid).

I have had many fins over the years but now only have two. I have the Scubapro Seawing Novas in an open heel and the Avanti Quattro Power in a fullfoot fin. Unless I am going to a place where a need a bootie for possible shore diving entries, I always dive my fullfoot Quattros. They are a little longer than a standard fin and I can now say they are the best fin I have ever owned. Here is a link to them:

Mares Avanti Quattro Power Full Foot Long Blade Fins, Black

Have you considered Hollis? They come standard with spring straps and they are reasonably priced. The F1 is a robust solid fin, great fin almost everyone I dive with has a pair. However unless you have strong legs I don't recomend these as a first fin. On the other hand the F2 is more forgiving, with the dual layer design it maximizes your effort. And due to their size and weight they make a great travel fin as well.

I also like the buckle system on the Mares. I had planned to go with the springs but don't feel a need for them with these fins.

We just ordered new Mares X-Streams because we wanted something that fits between a paddle fin and a split. It's often said that the Avanti Quattro is the fin all others are judged by. Here in Cozumel I see more fins by Mares than by any other Mfg. It's probably 3 to 1.

The Quattro and the Superchannel are reletively stiff. If that's what you're looking for you can't go wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom