Help with dry-suit purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm really looking hard at the SeaSkin options. I just bought a 7mm two piece since it was on a super sale awhile ago. I'm going to go dive Clear Lake in Oregon and see how bad it is. The temps are 42 degrees... this will be a good test.

I just did four dives in Lake Michigan last weekend in a 7 mm wet suit. It was 41F from 39 feet down and I'm not exactly built like a polar bear. I'm now following this thread and getting very interested in the Seaskin options.

If you don't mind me jumping into this conversation, am I correct that it sounds like trilam is really the only way to go if my cold water dives are going to be this cold? (Not specifically asking just MrVegas) I don't want to spend all this money on a suit that is just ok.
Trilam being a “best” option is an open debate but it is the most versatile option, I like neoprene for comfort/warmth and trim, I have sinker legs and the buoyancy spread to my legs and the thinner undies make for a nearly wetsuit feeling but the built in insulation is built in and you loose some ability to adjust things to suit the conditions. The one only drysuit owner is likely better off with trilam, the beauty of Seaskin is the for about the same cost as the next best deal you can have both.

I'm really looking hard at the SeaSkin options. I just bought a 7mm two piece since it was on a super sale awhile ago. I'm going to go dive Clear Lake in Oregon and see how bad it is. The temps are 42 degrees... this will be a good test.
Two piece 7mm will keep you alive but won’t make you happy :wink:

Sorry if someone else beat me to this point, but I'm going to HIGHLY suggest silicone seals over neoprene. I had a compressed neoprene suit and the roll-under neck seal gave me no shortage of leakage issues. If you find one that fits perfectly, great! But I found that if I had even the slightest crease or wrinkle in the roll (which I wouldn't notice on the surface and would think everything was fine) I would flood my suit. On the plus side, neoprene naturally insulates better than trilam, so I would stay moderately warm enough even when wet inside. But man, getting out of the suit in those late season dives really sucked when wet inside!

With silicone seals, you have a ton of stretch in them and a much better seal for most folks.

EDIT: Sorry, I should have specified that I had a compressed neoprene suit with neoprene seals, in case that wasn't clear. You can get neoprene suits with silicone or latex seals.

So, if i go Seaskin and custom Neoprene, can we assume it would be less of a "squeeze" than the fabric suit? Also, I wish they put a front zipper on the neoprene like they do on the fabric suit..

So, if i go Seaskin and custom Neoprene, can we assume it would be less of a "squeeze" than the fabric suit? Also, I wish they put a front zipper on the neoprene like they do on the fabric suit..
I’ve only ever used the neoprene, but I’ve never noticed any painful squeeze from the suit. Upon descending I can feel it get tight, but that’s basically it.

the back zip, it is what it is I guess. A silver lining is I think the diagonal zip looks really lame and the back zip design looks much better and streamlined. But I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

You get as much squeeze as you allow, in any suit. If you want less squeeze, you put more air in the suit.

Neoprene drysuits squeeze but they also stretch. Trilams squeeze and pinches! :) Remember you're probably wearing a fleece bunny suit under that drysuit so it shouldn't be a bad squeeze. You'll learn how much air to maintain in your suit. If you're diving with just a lycra diveskin or going commando, then expect some extra squeeze.

Ugh, looks like I might be going with SeaSkin. Now i can't decide if I should go Neoprene or Fabric... I just want the warmest option with the least amount of air in the suit. My assumption would be neoprene.

Go rent a trilam suit from your LDS and use their pool (if they have one) and test it out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom