Help with DIY Divelight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

no, it isn't designed to, but the three 3W LEDs are brighter than a 10W HID, and they only cost $10 per LED. The reflectors on the LEDs also give them a 3º beam angle and LEDs last forever.

Let me know how this goes. The hole saw didn't work - although I may try it on another piece of glass. I'm waiting on o-rings. I might be interested in trying the LED version if this doesn't pan out.

inotec,

You might try using a piece of Acrylic that you can just cut to 52mm, then cut the step with a router, that's what I did, worked well. My glass lens imploded at 80fsw. The acrylic will be fine with LED's. anything more than a 35watt halogen and you migth have issues with the heat. I was underwhlemed with the halogen performace anyhow.

I used a terralux LED (TLE-6EX) and the mag reflector. No leaks to 105fsw.

IMG_2430.jpg

The light -

IMG_2425.jpg

Good luck.

Jake

It's not necessary to step down the glass. I just got a local glass shop to cut a circle the same size as the plastic lens. Do not use acrylic if you are using halogen. I didn't use tempered glass and the only problem that I have had is one time when the light flipped on out of the water for a while and the glass cracked next time it felt pressure. The light has been to about 120 ffw with no problems. You can get a perfect piece of tempered glass from Maglite Rechargeable Flashlight Replacement Glass Lens But I didn't because they used to have a minimum order of $15 and I didn't need 7 of them. Looks like it might be different now.

A great resource for the simple mag lite method can be found here:

Dive light

I didn't bore the opening out. You don't need to if you buy a bulb with no glass lens. Just be careful how tight you tighten the outer ring. Buy the Solux flavor bulb. You can find them on the internet. They are about $15 bucks each but they don't have a glass lens and they are much whiter than the hardware store variety.

It's a pretty easy project - don't get discouraged. It makes it all worth while when you are diving with guys that have spent thousands on their lights and you barely spent $100. Yours won't be quite as nice but it certainly a great way to get into a good starter dive light.

Right now I am refurbishing a 21 watt HID bulb and ballast combo. It has been giving me a little problems, but little by little I am making progress.

Good luck and feel free to ask any questions.

Hunter

shoot a pm to curtschu on thedecostop.com. he was telling some of us last week about a yahoo group dedicated to diy hids and they'd be a great resource.

I want to modify my MagLight D3 into a dive light. I've read the various threads here about using the Maglight as the head for a canister light, but I don't want a can. I plan to convert it to LED and change the switch. From what I understand, the switch is the weak link for flooding, and may not work properly due to the pressure against the boot. Leaving the switch in the "on" position, I would close the switch hole, and add a switch in the end cap. The ground spring will be insulated from the body, and the switch connecting the two.

Can anyone help me find a suitable switch? I would rather not have a toggle sticking out the end of the light to get bumped around. Actually, I've toyed with the idea of not having a switch at all. The circut between the end cap & body dosen't close until the cap is tighened against the body: the end of the body and the lip of the end cap are bare aluminum, and the anodizing insulates the cap until those surfaces mate. A very slight twist shuts the light off, and the o-ring is still well seated in the body. Any thoughts?

Sorry to hijack this thread, but we're dealing with the same parts.

You know I've never tried that untwisting the end of a maglite thing before. If you want the light to have a constant on, that would work.

There's more to making it waterproof than just the switch though. The o-rings in the standard mag are good for a few feet, but much deeper than that and they will start to leak.

Replace the o-rings, use the EZ lighthead method to seal the head. Replace the O-ring between the head and body with one slightly bigger to get a good seal. (I think this will be your weak point, machining another groove and adding a 2nd O-ring would be better) Then replace the seal on the tailcap with a larger thickness O-ring.

You'll have to find a way to seal off the existing switch hole, maybe JB weld or some other water proof epoxy.

Assuming you don't mind losing the focusing ability of the maglite, a better method would be to cut the barrel just behind the switch, and turn your 3D into a 2D size, install a reed switch, and put the magnet in either a ring around the grip of the maglite or in a good man handle. For power, these would work pretty well I think....

$1.49 MELIA 3AA/1D 6AA/2D 9AA/3D Battery Tray

Good luck, update us on how the build goes.

Jake

Replace the o-rings, use the EZ lighthead method to seal the head. Replace the O-ring between the head and body with one slightly bigger to get a good seal. (I think this will be your weak point, machining another groove and adding a 2nd O-ring would be better) Then replace the seal on the tailcap with a larger thickness O-ring.

Jake

Jake-
Any spec on the o-rings? I read somewhere to use 2mm dia for the tailcap, body/head & head/lens ring; 3mm on the lens.

What do you mean by "EZ lighthead method"? Is that where you put an o-ring between the lens and the head, rather than in the ring? The lip of the head is so thin there I can't see how an o-ring would seat properly.

I'm thinking about making this light dimmable. Would need a double-pole switch for that. I took the original switch out of the Maglight. The space available in there for a new switch is about 9/16" x 5/8" x 1 1/8" deep. If I can find a water-tight switch to fit in there, I would bond a switch plate over the existing hole. The only drawback is once that plate is bonded, I no longer have access to the switch.

I'm getting pretty pumped about this. If it all works the way I hope, I will definately post the results. Thanks for your help.

-Brad

I've had no problem running a 50w MR16 halogen in my maglite lighthead with a 1/4" stepped polycarbonate lens. You can get the 1/4" poly-carb sheet at Home Depot. During a 3 hour burn test in 70F water it did develop a very slight 'fish eye' in the very center, which I polished out and has not returned during 60-90 minute dives in cold water. For the o-ring I use the stock bezel o-ring, but I've removed it from the bezel and placed it under my stepped lens. I prepared the aluminum surface under the lens by sanding a flat on it for the o-ring to seal against. If you do this, use a very flat surface (like a granite tile or pane of glass) to sand on.

-Ben

DIY 35w HID (When the arc is struck you can actually hear the Tabernacle Choir)
DIY 50w halogen (kept around as a backup)

I've had no problem running a 50w MR16 halogen in my maglite lighthead with a 1/4" stepped polycarbonate lens. You can get the 1/4" poly-carb sheet at Home Depot. During a 3 hour burn test in 70F water it did develop a very slight 'fish eye' in the very center, which I polished out and has not returned during 60-90 minute dives in cold water. For the o-ring I use the stock bezel o-ring, but I've removed it from the bezel and placed it under my stepped lens. I prepared the aluminum surface under the lens by sanding a flat on it for the o-ring to seal against. If you do this, use a very flat surface (like a granite tile or pane of glass) to sand on.

Thanks Ben-
How did you make the stepped lens? I'm assuming it needs to be fairly tight tolerances and have smooth surfaces for the o-ring.
-Brad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom