Help with dive site names c. 1979

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIHappyDiver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I don’t know if this is the right place for this, or if there are even answers out there, but here goes. I’m moving all of my old logs onto Subsurface, and there are 3 dives from Grand Cayman in 1979 that I can’t find on any of the maps. I have in my log, which who knows if I even wrote the correct names, DeSoto South, Caribbean Club Wall and Holiday Reef. Are these real sites? Do they have different names now? Did I just write down what I thought they said and, being 17, never bothered to verify the names?

I can’t help but wonder if Holiday Reef was out from the Holiday Inn (where the Barefoot Man played on a regular basis). But there was no Caribbean Club resort at the time, so did they take their name from the wall?

Anyway, any help would be appreciated as I take this stroll down memory lane.

Erik

Thanks, @Trailboss123, I have used their map as well but no luck. Appreciate the input though.
I have a couple of friends that were around back then and might be able to help. One was there back then and still is. The other was, but has came back to the US. I will reach out to them. They are not Scubaboard peeps.

I have a couple of friends that were around back then and might be able to help. One was there back then and still is. The other was, but has came back to the US. I will reach out to them. They are not Scubaboard peeps.

Thank you so much! Ultimately, it’s not that important, but it is fun trying to figure some of this out.

Erik

I dove GC way back then. Let me check my old log books. Holiday reef rings a bell. TK.

@tkaelin, that would be great, thanks for the help. By the way, just read your review from earlier this month. Good info. I’m going back in January of next year with one of the dive shops here in RI. It will be the first time back since the trip in ‘79, so I know I’m not going to recognize a thing. On that trip, the airport terminal looked like a fruit stand.

Hey RIhappydiver, I have a logbook entry 2-16-80 for a night dive at "holiday inn reef" Dove with Capt. Butch at Seasports. I have a note that we must have had a discussions about seawasps and that the price was 22.50 ci. I did not see entries with the other names but I was also 17 in 1979 and I note that some of the dives were simply described as deep wall and shallow reef. I see names for others such as Sand Chute, Trinity Caves, Orange Canyon, Oro Verde etc.

Enjoy your return trip. Yes, things will look much different but some things will feel the same. Where are you staying and diving? TK

a google search reveals a current dive site listing for Caribbean Club Sand Chute.

And Desoto maybe a Bob Soto site, there are two listed.

Back
Top Bottom