Help with buying a wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishmonkey1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I was recently certified, and I want to start gathering my own gear. I figured that a wetsuit was definitely a good place to start. When I got certified, I used a Bare 7mm Sport Full Wetsuit, with a hood, and it worked very well for the cold water I was diving in. My question is whether it would be better to just get a 5mm wetsuit and a hooded vest (not sure what thickness), that way I could wear both for colder dives, and then for the warmer more tropical dives remove the hooded vest, and just wear a hood (without the vest) that I already have. I feel like it would allow for more choices depending on where I go to dive.

Does it sound like a good idea to you guys? If you have another idea, please tell me!

I'm in favor of the wetsuit too, knowing what people do in the rentals. Anyway, yours is a loaded question and it really depends on where you will be diving and how cold you get. A 5 mm is a bit thick for most people in tropical areas. I like to be toastie and wear a full 3, but even that is overkill for many. I wonder first off if you can get a single suit that will work in the tropics and wherever you were using the 7 mm (a lake or quarry?). That's a big temperature differential to bridge. That said, I almost always travel will a full suit and then a 3 mm hooded vest as a step-up if I get cold and I really like the combination. It only minimally alters buoyancy, but it adds a fair bit of thermal protection, so a big fat YES to a full suit plus a hooded vest. It's a great idea. For the full suit, get what is appropriate for where you will dive most and if you have to rent one to train in the local cold water (assuming that is your situation), do that or get a cheapo for training and a nice one for where you dive most -- this is what I've done. Happy diving.

I would say use the right tool for the job.

If your diving locally required a 7mm then I would stick with that and look to pick up either a 3 or 5mm for tropical. I don't think you will be wearing a hood with that either.

I used a 2 mm shorty in Cozumel and that was plenty, but it was just not quite enough on Maui. It was OK but I did get a little cold and needed to make sure I took it down from my torso and put on a shirt to warm back up between dives. I will be looking for a 3mm full to add to my exposure protection.

I use a 7mm full with hood here locally and will even consider adding a 3mm vest to that although I seem to be OK. Added a SurFur coat to the collection this Christmas and can't wait to use it between dives here locally.

I guess I should clarify. The only local diving opportunities here in Arizona are lakes, and I was certified right before the holidays, so it was pretty cold.

So the verdict, it seems, is going to be get a full 7mm and a hooded vest for any colder diving, and then get a 3mm or 5mm for any tropical diving?

I would say use the right tool for the job.

I second that...the right tool for the job. If you are currently diving with a 7mm, then I doubt a 5mm with a vest will be warm enough. In addition, I wouldn't recommend trying make your wetsuit do double duty. If you are going to do most of your diving in cold water, then invest in a nice 7mm wetsuit first. If you are warm and comfortable in the water, you'll enjoy your diving must more.

Happy New Year!

Alright, so I think I will go back to the shop where I rented my wetsuit, and buy a new 7mm full suit.

Make sure to get a nice stretch to it. 4-way stretch.

Well worth it.

I have an Aqualung and it is very comfortable. But I would like a front zipper as you always need to have someone help or verify if you have the flap inside the zipper is set correctly with a back zipper.

Last edited:
I guess I should clarify. The only local diving opportunities here in Arizona are lakes, and I was certified right before the holidays, so it was pretty cold.

So the verdict, it seems, is going to be get a full 7mm and a hooded vest for any colder diving, and then get a 3mm or 5mm for any tropical diving?

I'd go with the 7mm, but wait and see on the 3mm/5mm - When I dive in Thailand, I only wear boardies and a long-sleeve rash shirt, no wetsuit at all. In North QLD, I wear a 1mm diveskin (even though the temperature is about the same) but that's only because we have a alot more nasty jellyfish in the water :)

Before plopping down money, you may want to try on different styles of wetsuit so that you know likes & dislikes.
Different makers cut and size their wetsuits differently.

Best might be to test dive a couple of different types

Reactions: Ana
Whilst I agree totally with buying the right gear for the job, just to throw a spanner in the works it might be worth looking at something like the Oceanic Pioneer 5mm system. This consists of a 5mm full suit and a 5mm shorty and comes with a hood. You can dive the shorty for warmer waters, the full suit when it starts to get a little colder and then put the shorty over the full suit for 10mm on the torso/body and 5mm on the legs and arms from the elbow/mid thigh downwards.

I dive various combinations of the two parts year round in the eastern Med where I have water temperatures from 29/30 degrees celsius in the summer down to maybe 15 degrees in the early part of the year. I haven't dived it in really cold water as I normally dive my dry suit in the UK but I would have thought 10mm over the body in two layers must be as good if not better than a single 7mm. It is flexible and I have no problems with being able to stretch or move in it.

Just a thought - P

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom