Help with Bali/Komodo trip planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I don't entirely agree with this, Quero

See? I told you--"ALWAYS" listen to Quero!

We are all different, and to say 'spend a day in Bali getting past travel fatigue & jetlag' ... I think is all in the head of the traveller

It depends on how you view your trip
Do you want to get the absolute most out of your trip, if the answer is yes, then you will not have travel fatigue, unless you think you will have travel fatigue
Think positive not negative

Air travel is very comfortable these days ... eat something as soon as you get on the plane, take a sleeping pill
flight connections, no problem, work your body around the flights and layovers

Don't waste your trip
Don't know what time your flight arrives in Bali, if your coming from LAX, probably the late landing
therefore, book a hotel minutes from the airport, get some rest and hit the road running the next day

Honestly, don't go to LBJ a day early--just spend a day on Bali getting past travel fatigue and jetlag.

I keep finding new liveaboards to look into... Anyone with experience on the Mona Lisa? We looked at Queen Scuba but apparently, one of their main people has left, stopping trips in Komodo. I like the idea of being able to set my own itinerary with the ML. I'm glad the Black Manta seems popular here as it fits our time and budget. I also think, the more and more I read, that we'll look into staying in the Tulamben area and try to find a dive resort there for the Liberty and tours to the local cultural sites. All of you guys and your responses are great!

Well, I don't exactly agree with theis either, Quero

Yes, I do agree that bags have issues on all types of flights
So, as an agent do you tell all your travellers to go where-ever they are going a day early, just in case

I take a flight from NC to Egypt [I chose this destination because it have a huge number of liveaboards with people going there from many countries]
are you suggesting that every boat in Egypt should have every traveller arrive a day before in case a bag goes lost through flight connection
or, when someone flys the single five hour flight from London should they arrive a day early in case the bag falls off the converyer
well, the hotels would benefit I suppose

The lost bag issue isn't between DPS and LBJ. That's a flight that's mere minutes long. The issue is all the international connections that your bags may not make due to falling off a conveyor belt, having a damaged baggage tag, missing a tight connection

We considered going to the liveaboard as soon as we pulled into Bali, leaving for LBJ the next morning, but after looking at some travel reviews and seeing how Indonesian flights don't operate with European train schedule standards, we decided to stay in DPS for a couple of days. We can acclimate to the time change and take a tour or two to the nearby temples. Our travel to the Philippines last year had us staying in Manila for two days before heading to the dive resort. We were glad we stayed. While we don't have our own gear, except for masks/fins/booties, et cetera, we want to make sure everything travels with us in one piece. I don't want to be that "guy" on the trip wearing the same pair of undies...

... we decided to stay in DPS for a couple of days.

With a couple of days, get out of town ... really! With taxi service and car/driver service so reasonable and easy to find, and lodging for any budget, get away to paradise, even if it's only 2 nights.

I agree with going to Ubud and staying at the Tegal Sari! Great location, super price and great service! We did the Korean air flight with the 13 hour layover but took a tour to Seoul. It was awesome! We were crazy tired but managed to see a lot and stay awake the whole day! They never said anything to us about the free hotel for the 13 hour layover. Grrrrrrrrrrr!

Well, I don't entirely agree with this, Quero

We are all different, and to say 'spend a day in Bali getting past travel fatigue & jetlag' ... I think is all in the head of the traveller

It depends on how you view your trip
Do you want to get the absolute most out of your trip, if the answer is yes, then you will not have travel fatigue, unless you think you will have travel fatigue
Think positive not negative

Air travel is very comfortable these days ... eat something as soon as you get on the plane, take a sleeping pill
flight connections, no problem, work your body around the flights and layovers

Don't waste your trip
Don't know what time your flight arrives in Bali, if your coming from LAX, probably the late landing
therefore, book a hotel minutes from the airport, get some rest and hit the road running the next day

Well, I don't exactly agree with theis either, Quero

Yes, I do agree that bags have issues on all types of flights
So, as an agent do you tell all your travellers to go where-ever they are going a day early, just in case

I take a flight from NC to Egypt [I chose this destination because it have a huge number of liveaboards with people going there from many countries]
are you suggesting that every boat in Egypt should have every traveller arrive a day before in case a bag goes lost through flight connection
or, when someone flys the single five hour flight from London should they arrive a day early in case the bag falls off the converyer
well, the hotels would benefit I suppose

Wow, Layla. I'd better :duck:

I'm guessing based on the attitude you express through your writing that you are a relatively young traveler (early 30's?). Since you addressed me directly and ask what motivates the professional advice I give, let me try to explain, without lobbing veiled insults and suggestions of vested interest as you have done.

As a dive travel consultant, I give advice in accordance with the destination together with the individual preferences of the divers. For example, for divers coming to Thailand for a liveaboard, I often arrange pickup directly from the airport because there is no ongoing flight to worry about as there is from Bali to Labuan Bajo. In other words, my customers' best interest is what is always foremost in my mind. And as someone who personally does a lot of dive travel, I can also tell you that I do everything I can do to keep control of my dive gear bag so that it reaches my destination with me. For example, I'll be on my way to Raja Ampat next month, and I'll pick up my bag in Singapore (where I will overnight) and also in Manado (where I will change carriers). This way I don't have to plan an overnight in Sorong as a cushion for luggage delay issues. However, most people coming to SE Asia from the US don't have the option of picking up their luggage at each international transit point, so the chances of a mishandled bag become greater, and therefore it becomes logical to build in a safeguard to avoid jumping on a liveaboard without one's personal gear.

Regarding jet lag, I'm afraid that it's scientifically and clinically proven that it's not all in the mind. If one could simply get past it by wishing it away with a positive attitude and a sleeping pill, how wonderful that would be! You, Layla, may be one of those lucky, rare people who are not much affected by travel fatigue and jet lag, but to tell people that it's all in their head would be like me telling the unfortunate sufferers of seasickness that it's all in their head simply because I don't get sea sick myself. I have worked with hundreds of divers traveling between North America and SE Asia, and in an overwhelming majority of cases, taking a day to get over travel fatigue not only enhances their subsequent enjoyment of their trip, but is also prudent from a safety perspective. As a dive pro yourself, Layla, I'm sure you agree that diving while not in a good physical state increases one's risk of injury and illness. So yes, I do advise people to allow themselves a day of rest and non-strenuous activity after they arrive before beginning to dive.

Reactions: MA
Like I said, "Always"! :eyebrow: // ww

Oh lordy, to be able to wish away jet lag. Had it in my thirtys. Didn't get any better in my fortys. My hopes for the fifties are not high.

I wonder if travel with small children will decrease or increase the effects of circadian rhythm disruption. We'll see. :)

Will

Back
Top Bottom