Help with Bali/Komodo trip planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

See? I told you--"ALWAYS" listen to Quero!

I know the feeling when you decide on a trip--gotta get those flights. Still, I'd at least see what shakes loose in the next couple weeks. (Which hopefully won't be skyrocketing fuel charges because a certain bozo country plays games in the Strait of Hormuz!) // ww

I am ready to go to back to Komodo, after reading the above posts. Great info!

We had a group on the Komodo Dancer. Our divers would get out of the water after Every dive exclaiming; " That was the Best dive of the trip "

So if you can spend more time diving Komodo, do.

We have stayed over on Nusa Lembongan to dive with the Mola Mola. It is hit or miss as far as seeing them. I think Sept is the best time for having a chance of see them. Given your time frame, I would make it a future trip.

Bali is fun and interesting. A great place to get over your jet lag and to make sure your luggage arrives.

PM me for more specific info on your trip and any gear questions or needs.

Prepare for some of the best dives of your life!

Have to put in a plug for Tegal Sari ...

Welcome to Tegal Sari

... best combination of room, price, and location that I can think of in Ubud. PM me for some great room choice tip ... but don't wait ... it may be booked full already!

Re: Korean Airlines ... excellent airline. The only issue we had was that once we got off the LAX-ICN leg, we had a 13 hour layover in Seoul before boarding again for Bali, and then you get to Bali around midnight. But, that means you can get to Ubud in 40 minutes because the roads are deserted! Korean Airlines will, however, put you up in a hotel for free if your layover is more than 12 hours. They want to put you on a bus to a hotel just off-airport, but if you whine a bit (politely, with a smile) they'll put you up in the airport transfer hotel. Much better option, since you don't have to deal with customs and security.

Re: Dive Safari in Bali ... Personal opinion only ... given how the dive sites are spread around Bali, safari-ing around the island means, IMHO, way too much packing/unpacking/driving for a short, compressed tip. Better to do that when you're in Bali for two weeks.

Last edited:
The recommendations and ideas have been very helpful for my wife and I. We've been talking and perhaps a dive safari after the liveaboard might be too much driving/moving around so we are thinking of finding one spot to make our base to dive out of and to tour the temples and countryside. Would Tulamben be a good area for this with the Liberty? In the areas we have dove in the past, we have been most impressed with wall dives (Roatan) and I'm partial to wrecks, but not necessarily entering the wreck. We enjoyed finding the different fish, like cuddlefish, ghost pipefish, and seahorses in the Philippines. We like the big stuff but not the ripping currents (Verde Island, Philippines-great walls and pelagics but that's some current) where we're kicking hard to move an inch. Stay in Tulamben for the Liberty, macro, and tours to nearby temples, then Menjangan for walls? I guess the mola mola may be harder to find in mid-July?

Yes, Tulamben would be a good base. The diving is superb, and it's near enough to some important cultural and geographical highlights to make daytrips between diving days feasible.

Having done the trip to Komodo in August on the Black Manta, I am happy that we chose to get to Labuan Bajo a day early. As Quero says, it's not for lost baggage issues but it is a good idea becuase of cancelled / delayed flights or bumped passengers because of overbooking. While our flights were not a problem, there are a high enough of a percentage that are that I did not want the risk. Also, as Lorenzoid found out, we stayed on the Black Manta that night for free so there was no hotel cost, we did an extra dive outside of the LB harbor (at Pulau Tebolan with lots of ornate ghost pipefish, lobsters, rare dartfish, etc.) and, surprisingly, had some amazing Italian food for dinner.

Also, I am happy that after the Komodo trip, we stayed in Sanur for a couple of days and did day trips to Nusa Penida to see the the mola-molas. We had also seen one in Komodo but it was still nice and very easy dives with a 3 minute car ride then an hour or so speed boat ride for two dives and a box lunch.

When I go to Komodo again, I'll do the same thing.

We've flown both China Air and EVA (many times) to Bali. It's a very simple route from SF or LAX. They are both fine. Singapore Air gets rave reviews, but we were underwhelmed. Bottom line, EVA or China Air are cheaper and Sing Air isn't worth the exta, coach service vs. coach service.

Hey, just an afterthought further to my other reply where I mentioned that my wife and I recently booked a 5D/4N on Black Manta, I thought I'd mention also considering the Moana. Moana also offers a 5D/4N and sent a prompt and apparently thorough reply to my inquiry. I'm sure there are still other Komodo operators that offer this kind of shorter trip, but it's not easy finding any kind of comprehensive list.

Hi there

We went to the Similans on Black Manta in December 2010 and had a wonderful time. The boat was fantastic and the dining room is outside, but shaded, which was great. You will have an amazing time !!

I've just booked a 19 day end to end trip to Komodo + Bali:

day 1 & 2 NC to Bali [overnight Bali]
day 3 - depart Bali & arrive LBJ in the morning
day 3 - land tour with Dive Komodo
day 4 & 5 diving with Dive Komodo [warm up dives & re-familarize myself with my camera, new lens + new video light]
day 6 to 15 divng on the Komodo Dancer
day 16 - fly to Bali
day 16 & 17 & 18 in Bali [no diving]
day 18 - depart Bali in the afternoon
day 19 arrive NC

Not enough time to do anything in Bali as I have two part days and the whole day in the middle is Nyepi

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom