Help with Bali/Komodo trip planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah, sorry. I just read you were after nightlife. Sanur is pretty sleepy after dark, bar a couple of pubs. Kuta is where you can go if hordes of sunburned drunken Aussie twenty somethings vomiting onto overpowered speakers is your thing. Fun bonus: a beach that is half brown sand, half washed up plastic refuse. Erk. Sorry. It's up there with khao San road in Bangkok for me in terms of just how massively us whiteys can destroy a good thing.

But how do you really feel? Don't hold back.

But how do you really feel? Don't hold back.

Ha. Sorry. Too direct? Have been spending at least a month a year somewhere in SE Asia for the last 15 years or so. I guess I do have strong opinions on it :) Some westerner party towns like van vieng in Laos seem to pull it off without complete Armageddon of the local culture and environment, and they are fine by me. Kuta just makes my skin crawl. Lots of people seem to like Kuta, though! Maybe I'm a snob :) Whatever happens, op, I hope you have a great trip. Indonesia is lovely, and much of Bali is amazing. If you want a serious party, hop a cheap flight to Jakarta and hit up Stadium or one of the other seven-story megaclub type nightclubs. They are hedonistic bacchanaliae like nothing you've ever seen, not just tourist pits.

Thanks. I will do some reading and see if Kuta is right for our night-life scene. Just want that for a day or two to celebrate my friends Bday. Is it easy to get there (looks like ~10miles)? What I would really look for is someplace nice to hang out for 6 days with some diving, easy access to good touristy things, a nice beach, and a bit of nightlife.

Quero, I'll hit you up via email on loding/dive-ops once we decide on where to stay (still sounds likely to be Sanur). Thanks all!

Kuta is very easy to get to via taxi from sanur or seminyak, etc. One tip is to take bluebird taxis where you can in Indonesia (and around Kuta/sanur they are plentiful). Unlike some, they are a taxi company that has a reputation for honest meters and not overcharging.

We are going to spend four days in Tulamben but would like to come back and stay closer to the airport for one night since we have an early domestic flight out the next morning. We don't need a party scene but would like a nice place to stay since it is my birthday. What is close enough to the airport but still gives us the Bali feel and is on the beach?

We are going to spend four days in Tulamben but would like to come back and stay closer to the airport for one night since we have an early domestic flight out the next morning. We don't need a party scene but would like a nice place to stay since it is my birthday. What is close enough to the airport but still gives us the Bali feel and is on the beach?
Nusa Dua and Tonjong Benoa would work for you. Nusa Dua is more "touristy."

Quero... Is there a resort you would recommend in either area. We would like to be on the coast/beach. Also I am torn between Scuba Seraya and villa markisa in the Tulamben area...is there one you prefer over the other. Too many decisions!!! My husband and I are very easy going and don't tend to sweat the unimportant things. We just like to dive and relax...and of course eat good food!!!

Quero... Is there a resort you would recommend in either area. We would like to be on the coast/beach. Also I am torn between Scuba Seraya and villa markisa in the Tulamben area...is there one you prefer over the other. Too many decisions!!! My husband and I are very easy going and don't tend to sweat the unimportant things. We just like to dive and relax...and of course eat good food!!!
Let me start with your Tulamben question--both Seraya and Markisa are lovely--I know the owners of both, and while I haven't ever stayed at Markisa, I have stayed at Seraya multiple times myself. In fact, Markisa's owner (Kristina) built Seraya (along with Patrick), so the concept is similar. Seraya is a somewhat bigger resort, though it's still quite small, and Markisa is more intimate yet. They share a boundary and are directly in front of the same dive sites, Seraya Secrets and Noisy Reef. Either one would be great, so just go with whichever of the two has the right availability and seems to have the right features for you.

Now for Nusa Dua/Tanjong Benoa--based on your selection of Seraya and Markisa for your Tulamben stay, I'd imagine that you would find one of the Melia properties pleasing. There's a villa-type, (Villa at Melia) and regular resort-type (either standard rate or all inclusive). For one night, though, maybe just stay at the Novotel for half the price?

We have friends that stay at Hotel Parigata every time they go to Bali and love it. The same people always stay at Villa Markisa and love that too. That said , we are staying at Scuba Seraya when we go to Tulamben. The prices were better at Scuba Seraya! Have a great time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom