Help! wetsuit looks chewed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merchant.r

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We are headed to cozumel at the end of the month. I pulled the wetsuits out of storage, tried them on (I've had a baby since I wore it last) and put them in the wash to freshen them up. They are ripped! The sleeve of my shorties has a couple messy tears and my husband's has a slit and a spot with a messy tear! :( please tell me this is fixable!

PhotoGrid_1420576218590.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20150106_152556239.jpg
    IMG_20150106_152556239.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 307
It looks like the sleeve on your shorty could easily be repaired with some aquaseal.

The only one that really looks challenging is the knee on your husbands.

Even that, you could use aquaseal on the threads to stop any more unraveling.

With water temps of 80 F or so, even with the current damages, the suits should still be enough for thermal protection. You'll just look like a hobo. ;-)

The hubby tears are on the side and hip area. Will it not tear further if he puts it on? Should I attempt the aqua seal stuff on those as well?

---------- Post added January 6th, 2015 at 04:55 PM ----------

The hubby tears are on the side and hip area. Will it not tear further if he puts it on? Should I attempt the aqua seal stuff on those as well?

Oh, I thought that was the knee. I have a 7mm suit where some of the stitching started to come out. I caught it early but I took aquaseal and put it on the threads where it was coming undone. No issue with it since and I probably have 100 dives on it since then.

You could try and get some 1 or 2 mil neoprene and cut out a patch. Use aquaseal and cover one side of it and place it firmly on that big hole. (maybe just cover that side like a donut or just take care that when applied as the patch, the exposed aquaseal that is over the hole, does not make contact with the other side. Once the aquaseal is dry, it won't be an issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom