HELP!!! Trying to finish my open water certification.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mansfield

New
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm looking for some advice or recommendations about completing my open water certification from where I am now without having to start all over again.

I had been working with Jim Hoffman on my open water certification at Scuba Toys, but due to weather conditions or work have not been able to finish it.

As I'm sure many of you know, Jim is a great instructor! I have completed the test and all but 1 dive. My training was with a backplate and wing. Unfortunately, Jim retired and I am still missing my last dive.

How can I finish my last dive, so that I can receive my NAUI certification without starting from scratch and having to pay for a whole new class and starting over?

I look forward to diving with many of you soon!

Thanks,

Sonya

Whoa! When did Jim retire? Is the shop still there? I tried checking his website (http://www.scuba-toys.com/), but was redirected to Beach Cities Scuba.

You might try contacting Mike at New England Divers in Long Beach (562-421-8939). He certifies with NAUI.

dito on calling mike at new england. but 'comon quiting with a student in the works, that isn't so good... call mike and get it done!

Trust me you won't have to pay for the course again. Contact the instructor and im sure he will get you with someone else to finish the course.

Let's see if we can come up with a good answer that can get Sonya into the water sooner than later. She's a friend of mine and I want to get her diving with the SoCal crowd! :D

I wonder if Beach Cities Scuba would actually complete this, since they took over Jim's shop.

Maybe Milo will come along and let us know.

Christian

headhunter:
Let's see if we can come up with a good answer that can get Sonya into the water sooner than later. She's a friend of mine and I want to get her diving with the SoCal crowd! :D

I wonder if Beach Cities Scuba would actually complete this, since they took over Jim's shop.

Maybe Milo will come along and let us know.

Christian

I sent Milo a PM with a link to this thread last night. He's taking care of it like I knew he would. MY MAN!:D

Contact Mike at New England Divers in Long Beach (562-421-8939). He certifies with NAUI.
scuba toys is now owend by Beach Cities Scuba and there are PADI only and Jim is done with teaching.

Wow! I'm shocked. Does anybody know what's going to happen to the property? I was told that Jim owned the property the shop was on... pool and all. The facilities were all there, and the shop seemed to get pretty good business, so it wouldn't make sense to tear it down.

My co-worker used to be an instructor at Jim's shop and they were good friends. I'll have to pass the word on... or perhaps he can find out more from Jim himself.

I'm sure Jim didn't mean to leave anyone high and dry. Sonya, if you haven't already made arrangements to finish, you might also try calling Beach Cities Scuba to get hold of Jim and explain your situation. He might help arrange for you to finish. One other thought, If Beach Cities Scuba took it over, then they should also have your class Info for getting your C-card. I think they would have to honor whatever "Debts" Scuba Toys left open, one way or another.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom