Help/tips for attaching stress relief sleeves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aaron528

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Maybe I'm dense (I don't think so but now questioning)...I have an SPG that needs a stress relief sleeve. The narrow end is supposed to go towards the SPG and the wide end slips over the nut where it attaches to the first stage. Hose can't be removed from SPG itself, so the narrow end has to slide over the nut down the length of sleeve. I'm having a very difficult time getting the damn thing on; it goes in maybe 1 inch then gets hopelessly stuck. I've tried silicone grease in combo with stretching first using a tapered steel mandrel...no go. Any advice you more experienced people have would be much appreciated. :dork2:

why can't the hose come out of the spg? i don't know all types, obviously, but i know mine come off, so get two wrenches & give it a try if there's a nut there.

The hose should unscrew from the SPG end as well, if not then you have a major task ahead of you.

As for using a lubricant to help slide the sleave down the hose, I always use dish washing liquid because it will breakdown as compared to any real lubricants that could cause the sleave to continue sliding around.

Also remember to never use oil on the rubber pieces, oil will cause the rubber to breakdown.

I may be wrong but I think my LDS heats them in water prior to installation. At least it's possible since I have the mini-Scubapro/Uwatec gauges with the integrated molded boot so no way the hose protector went on from that end. (afaik)

You really don't need it but if you still want it, soak it in hot (boiling is best) water for a few minutes. This will soften it a good bit. Remove it from the water and using gloves to keep from getting burned, slide it on. Most of the time this will do the job.

Put a pan on the stove and heat the water to 130-140F or so. An instant read thermometer works well for this. Put the protectors in there or a minute or two. Then work fast before they cool off.

why can't the hose come out of the spg? i don't know all types, obviously, but i know mine come off, so get two wrenches & give it a try if there's a nut there.

This is an older model Aeris Console that is molded to form a single piece of rubber. I would have to remove the gauges to get to the innards of the connecting port of the hose from the inside...there is no access to a nut from the outside.

Thanks for the link...funny that I reinvented the wheel thinking about how to solve this problem...I essentially designed the same tool in my head using a piece of threaded rod and a machine nut, but I haven't made it yet. It will certainly cost less than $21 plus shipping, but I'm not sure it's worth it for one or two sleeves.

Back
Top Bottom