DIY Arm Gauntlet-Style Console Brainstorming

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SlugLife

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
For the last week, I've been thinking about making an arm-console, which could hold items like computers, gauges, mirrors, compass, dive-notes, small cutting tool, and other similar items. Since I'm getting into side-mount & sometimes switch back to backplate, I'm trying to keep everything off my harness & not have a bulky spg-gauge-cluster-****.

Ideally it would be:

• Modular where items could be added or removed, preferably compatible with my current mounting-method of using two 1/8th inch bungee loops, which act as wrist-straps.
  • Items are secure. I don't want to drop computers worth several hundred $.
  • Quick to don and doff. Ideally, you slip it on over the wetsuit, maybe secure 2-3 straps, and everything is ready to go.
  • Not too floppy, or too stiff where my arm can't move normally.
  • Hands-free underwater.

My current idea is to make something like a gauntlet out of a modified "motorcycle arm brace" (something like this). The arm-brace would provide structure, and save me a lot of time DIYing from scratch, although the materials may require repair or reinforcement if they're not the type that would stand up to water.

In terms of how to mount items:

One idea is 2-inch webbing with velcro underneath, and triglides on each-end. Most of my wrist-mount items at the moment are secured with 2 loops of bungee - instead, they would have 2 smaller loops, which slide over the webbing, and the velcro prevents the loops them from sliding. The triglides would be used to ensure the ends of the 2-inch webbing are tight and nothing slides off the ends, if the velcro came lose.

Another idea would be to hack apart some gauge boots, the kind which usually go on the end of high-pressure hoses, and hold the SPG. The downside being the scrap/spare ones I have are a little bulky and would ideally be cut. It seems scuba-gauges and consoles are usually in the 2.25 to 2.5 inch range, perhaps there are some cheaper options not branded as "scuba" gauge protectors? I might have 2-5 items which could fit in these types of protectors, and could (semi) permanently affix them.

Lastly, I do have a few items on GoPro style mounts including an action camera & light, which are currently mounted to a helmet. I could put everything on possibly put everything on these types of mounts, which might be convenient for swapping items or even putting them at an angle. If I go this route, I might need something more secure than webbing or fabric to attach to, such as a piece of PVC. I could of course combine this with gauge-boots.

Anyway, I was curious if anyone has done something like this, or has any ideas.

This sounds like the the contraption I used before dive computers. There was a SOS decompression meter, stiletto knife, oil-filled depth gauge, and a Casio digital watch in stop-watch mode. It mounted to my forearm with a second strap at the bottom of the knife sheath. It was big but easy to don and handy to view.

One thought to add to the design mix is preventing rotation on your arm. I sew two small loops to my suits for one strap. It works for watch-size computers and larger 2-strap models. One of the straps on my Shearwater Perdix is a bungee and the other is the Nylon strap that passes through the anti-rotation loops. The bungee holds it to my arm while I slip the Nylon strap through the loops and buckle it. I like to keep it on the side of my forearm so I don't have to rotate my arm to read it when holding a camera or the downline.

This sounds like the the contraption I used before dive computers. There was a SOS decompression meter, stiletto knife, oil-filled depth gauge, and a Casio digital watch in stop-watch mode. It mounted to my forearm with a second strap at the bottom of the knife sheath. It was big but easy to don and handy to view.

One thought to add to the design mix is preventing rotation on your arm. I sew two small loops to my suits for one strap. It works for watch-size computers and larger 2-strap models. One of the straps on my Shearwater Perdix is a bungee and the other is the Nylon strap that passes through the anti-rotation loops. The bungee holds it to my arm while I slip the Nylon strap through the loops and buckle it. I like to keep it on the side of my forearm so I don't have to rotate my arm to read it when holding a camera or the downline.
Your contraption does sound similar.

I like the anti-rotation idea.

Securing to the suit might have a few drawbacks. It would be difficult to sew, and reliant on having that wetsuit (or modifying several). Modifying the wetsuit is also something not easily undone.

One possibility might be to have a velcro-strap, which runs around the back of my hand, between the thumb and pointer finger, across the palm and around. This would be similar to how gopro hand-mounts work, where it's secured around the wrist and palm. That would secure the front. A second velcro-loop could go around the back of the elbow, although the elbow-movement and flexing of the muscle would make it difficult to secure the 2nd loop reliably.

The back of the arm is somewhat flat, so some kind of flat or somewhat-stiff backing might be less likely to rotate in general.

Securing to the suit might have a few drawbacks. It would be difficult to sew, and reliant on having that wetsuit (or modifying several). Modifying the wetsuit is also something not easily undone.

True, but is well worth it to me on all of my wet and drysuits. Wetsuit glue and hand sewing a simple loop stitch is not hard, but is time consuming.

I really like having a knife on my forearm. I look forward to seeing your experiments.

True, but is well worth it to me on all of my wet and drysuits. Wetsuit glue and hand sewing a simple loop stitch is not hard, but is time consuming.

I really like having a knife on my forearm. I look forward to seeing your experiments.
I was thinking you were talking about sewing it to the wetsuit, but the glue makes more sense. I think I could probably do that, it would be a low-effort modification to the wetsuit, and probably be barely noticeable when not wearing the gauntlet.

If this works out, I might need to make a gauntlet for each arm. Right-arm is primary, and left-arm is secondary or backup equipment. Stuff like a backup cutting tool, backup flashlight, backup dive-console, old-school depth guage, etc.

I was thinking you were talking about sewing it to the wetsuit, but the glue makes more sense.

I did both but it is all a matter of the right adhesive and surface area.

If this works out, I might need to make a gauntlet for each arm.

One conclusion I drew for myself was to keep my dominant arm free of high profile stuff to make reaching in holes easier. A two-arm solution may work against the "ease of donning" objective. Just thinking out loud.

Back
Top Bottom