Help the Yankees are Invadin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diveral

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all, I'm bringing the hard core members of the club down to visit Gary the weekend of June 9th to dive the Oriskany. We have Gary tied up for Saturday and Sunday and are really looking forward to that trip. We have three members of the Great Lakes Shipwreck Preservation Society flying down from Minnesota to join us. They were with me on this trip: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=151651 They are some really good divers and its worth the time to share a couple of beers with them and discuss the Great Lakes Shipwrecks.

I guess they took all my bragging about how our Gulf Coast Diving was better than their frigid Great Lakes Diving seriously. Now I have to prove it. As I said I've got Gary tied up for two days including one to the Oriskany and I think that'll be a great start. They also want to go out on Monday June 11th and need more divers to charter a trip. I was wondering if anyone wanted to go out with them. We could charter a boat out of Gulf Shores or Pensacola. Also they want to dive some springs on Tuesday May 12. I'll send them to Vortex unless someone's diving Morrison or Cypress that day.

I'll also be hanging out in Gulf Shores from Monday June 11 through Saturday the 16th. Anyone want to meet for a shore or jetty dive while I'm there?

Thanks,
AL

You know if you really want to tease them Gary has got one heck of a video put together. It has some of the better sights in my opinion we have to offer here along the Coast. If I remember right I guess I should get mine out again but the old lady can handle only so much, It has the Pete Tide, Navy Tug, and Avocet, on it and a few others. That way they can pick there on dive and see our Marine life first hand

I’m waiting on Gary to put out Volume two

That's a good idea. Maybe I can get Gary to loan it to us to show them Friday night or maybe I can buy one while we are there. The problem is that I'll be arriving after Gary closes shop although I think the Yankees will get there in time to drop by. We'll be staying in Ocean Reef. We've got a 2 tank off shore trip scheduled for Saturday. Any suggestions what our two dives should be?

AL

Diveral:
That's a good idea. Maybe I can get Gary to loan it to us to show them Friday night or maybe I can buy one while we are there. The problem is that I'll be arriving after Gary closes shop although I think the Yankees will get there in time to drop by. We'll be staying in Ocean Reef. We've got a 2 tank off shore trip scheduled for Saturday. Any suggestions what our two dives should be?

AL

If I had my dream dive plan put together I would start with the Dredge Avucet this is a huge 2,640 to clam shell dredge built in 1942 the wheel house starts at 68fsw and a max depth of 115fsw more or less take a light if you go several nook and crannies to look it.

Pete Tide is an intact 180ft oil supply boat it sits in a 100fsw both are deeper dives but either are well worth looking at. Plenty of Marine life and some Jew fish are known to call these places home

The reel barge is another nice spot to drop in for a look keep an eye pealed lobsters have been know to take up residents here also a lot of sites list it at 90fsw but on my computer the last time I dove there said 101fsw

The Dutch banks can be a cool shallow it is know for its natural bottom but it cant be compared to the reefs or ledges of Florida

Atlantis is another cool dive if you were thinking about some fishing it is old bridge spans fish seems to like the area

The list of sites just keep growing with Tanks and planes and so forth it would be next to impossible to cover just half of the sites we have to offer down here. But If it was me I would check into the first two for starters

I’m not trying to promote Gary’s video or nothing but dang it is well worth a peek at so you can take a look for self before deciding

What ever you decide you must also take in a night dive Three mile barge is a awesome dive at night

Heck this has got me wanting to tag along

Diveral:
Hey all, I'm bringing the hard core members of the club down to visit Gary the weekend of June 9th to dive the Oriskany. We have Gary tied up for Saturday and Sunday and are really looking forward to that trip. We have three members of the Great Lakes Shipwreck Preservation Society flying down from Minnesota to join us. They were with me on this trip: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=151651 They are some really good divers and its worth the time to share a couple of beers with them and discuss the Great Lakes Shipwrecks.

I guess they took all my bragging about how our Gulf Coast Diving was better than their frigid Great Lakes Diving seriously. Now I have to prove it. As I said I've got Gary tied up for two days including one to the Oriskany and I think that'll be a great start. They also want to go out on Monday June 11th and need more divers to charter a trip. I was wondering if anyone wanted to go out with them. We could charter a boat out of Gulf Shores or Pensacola. Also they want to dive some springs on Tuesday May 12. I'll send them to Vortex unless someone's diving Morrison or Cypress that day.

I'll also be hanging out in Gulf Shores from Monday June 11 through Saturday the 16th. Anyone want to meet for a shore or jetty dive while I'm there?

Thanks,
AL

I watched Great Lakes Shipwreck last night on (whatever that channel was) about them documenting the wrecks. Very cool diving and I see they wear BP/W too. :wink:

Michael

Thanks for the ideas Tom. The three mile barge night dive sounds like a good idea. We have all six slots booked for Sat and Sun but you are welcome to join us on Monday. If you can't make a dive with us you ought to join us for beer and dinner one night. Steve is the current or past president of the Great Lakes Shipwreck Preservation Society (GLSPS). He documents many of the wrecks and has published numerous booklets and articles on the Great Lakes wrecks. He's currently working on a book about the wrecks of Lake Superior. Every time I'm up there he shows me his latest project. There's some fascinating stuff. What gets me are the 150 yr old wooden shipwrecks that are intact with the masts still standing. One of these days I'm going to dive one of them.

AL

Yeah I would be interested in talking and diving with them as I am an underwater archaeology major. Wish we had the preservation they enjoyed in the lakes although are wreck are a bit older :wink: . You should have them post on this thread and do intro's. Im sure they would enjoy the endless torture from Denise

Diveral:
Thanks for the ideas Tom. The three mile barge night dive sounds like a good idea. We have all six slots booked for Sat and Sun but you are welcome to join us on Monday. If you can't make a dive with us you ought to join us for beer and dinner one night. Steve is the current or past president of the Great Lakes Shipwreck Preservation Society (GLSPS). He documents many of the wrecks and has published numerous booklets and articles on the Great Lakes wrecks. He's currently working on a book about the wrecks of Lake Superior. Every time I'm up there he shows me his latest project. There's some fascinating stuff. What gets me are the 150 yr old wooden shipwrecks that are intact with the masts still standing. One of these days I'm going to dive one of them.

AL

My dive buddy and I enjoyed the 3 mile barge. Look for the sea cucumber on the Northern side.

Michael

Back
Top Bottom