Help please....re recommended interval

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

42 minutes/106'
I'm still going to assume that you are asking seriously.

According to the NST you should wait 9 hours before ascending to 600-1000m elevation after that dive.

If we're liberal and just considering the elevation difference, it's 7 hours after a dive like that

This thread has sent me into a flurry of research. 42min @ 106' way outside of NDL limits, it is a deco dive. I am familiar with general altitude diving tables for NDL dives but have not delved into tech/deco diving. What is a good place to start reading about tech/deco. Not necessarily interested in taking a tech course yet, and most certainty not trying to sidestep proper education and certification, just wanting to do a little self education.

This was not a deco dive. "Max Depth" was 106'. I was under water for 42". At no time was I in deco.
Assume that I spent 5 minutes @ 18' and 19 minutes @ 10'.....just because it makes me feel better.
I ended up staying @ 1200' for 2 hours including 30" driving @ 1200'.

This was not a deco dive.
Now you're telling us.

I'm becoming less and less convinced that you're serious about this. First you ask a question which you should know can't be answered, then you supply misleading data. If you'd been a n00b, I'd given you the benefit of doubt. AFAIK you aren't a n00b.

This thread has sent me into a flurry of research. 42min @ 106' way outside of NDL limits, it is a deco dive. I am familiar with general altitude diving tables for NDL dives but have not delved into tech/deco diving. What is a good place to start reading about tech/deco. Not necessarily interested in taking a tech course yet, and most certainty not trying to sidestep proper education and certification, just wanting to do a little self education.
Start reading "Deco for divers" and search for @Dr Simon Mitchell 's threads here. Simon is one of the world's leading hyperbaric scientists and a very good communicator.

And while e.g. PADI's rec table won't answer the OP's question, there are other tables out there where you can find the answer to the OP's question, given a square profile. Like the one I quoted.

The simple answer is to wait for the "clear to fly" from your PDC. They all vary on that. Personally, and without any scientific basis to support this, I would "sleep on it" and continue any journey to higher elevations the next day. Depending on your dive, that might be about the time your PDC clears anyway. Diving is all about limits and while there might be times to press your limits, I don't think this is one of them. We were on Saba (the Caribbean one) and did a couple of dives in the morning. That afternoon we went up the side of the mountain to explore the island a bit. Most of us stopped when we got to St Johns but one person wanted to see the extinct volcano at almost 3,000 ft. She got bent, should've gone to the chamber, but the symptoms resolved when she got back on the boat (a liveaboard). The only thing I noticed was that I was far more susceptible to alcohol when I got the signature drink from the Tropical.

@boulderjohn has done a bit or writing and research on altitude diving and ascents after diving:

Deep Adventure Scuba Colorado Technical Diving - For Those Looking to Take Diving to a New Level
I was just going to mention that and you beat me to it. I do recall @boulderjohn posting about breathing O2 while driving home after a dive at his "local" sites to alleviate concerns about altitude changes. However, this goes into more detail. Too bad he's not posting here anymore, AFAIK he's pretty much the worlds foremost expert on the subject.

I'm only talking about a 1,000' difference in altitude and apparently it was a reasonable question. I'll ask Bill Routh next time I see him. Will also read the boulderjohn article(s), thanks for directing me to that....I will also look at Deco For Divers ( I forgot that I had it).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom