Help please - need drysuit advice!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TropicalDiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As the name implies, I live in FL and dive in tropical waters mostly. The problem is my 5 ml henderson gold core and a light hood is simply not enough here in the winter. I know - wah, wah - I don't have it tough down here... But I really need some help and there's really not many people who know about drysuits down here - the LDS don't carry them or offer classes...

Anyway, went on e-bay and bid - and lost (someone was looking out for me) on a ski drysuit. I now know that we don't use them for scuba diving, but the rubber-type drysuits just don't look right to me without training and I'm not likely to get that down here. Also, don't really want the cost of drysuit + class because I cant' use the drysuit all year. Maybe I'll have to just stay out of the water, but really want to go diving in the winter. Any ideas on a safe and cheap way of getting warmer?? Also, want to use my BC for buoyancy control and not the suit if at all possible. I realize that I'm completely clueless in this area...any help/ideas/guidance???

if you're not going to get training (doesn't have to be through a LDS) don't get the suit.

Do not buy a waterski type of drysuit for diving as there is no inlet or exhaust valves to control the squeeze or exhaust air out of the suit.If you are unable to add air to the drysuit on decent the squeeze will be extremely uncomfortable.

If you're going to get a drysuit, don't do it half-a**. It's a serious piece of equipment.. do your research, ask questions. You need to be sure your drysuit will fit you *perfectly*

A watersports drysuit is completely unsuitable for scuba diving. They do not have air inlet valves or exhaust valves, are usually less than completely waterproof (speaking from experience :wink:).

I'd suggest you just go buy a semi-dry (also semi-wet, I suppose) and avoid taking the trouble to actually learn to use a drysuit, since you don't seem interested.

I was in the same boat this winter. Got tired of using my 3/2 in cold water and was freezing in the colder (41F) air.

Yuck.

So I got a DiveRite 905. Picked up the hood and gaiters too.

Never used the gaiters.

I would suggest you buy a used shell suit off of ebay. A DUI or DR 905. You will probably need to replace the seals, and maybe the boots, so add in a few hundred to the price. Be sure that you don't pay more than a new suit! Call around and get some local prices if you can.

The DUIs have front entry, but you can use a dog leash on the DR to self-don.

I was supposed to take a drysuit class, but the class was a month in the future and I am not one for waiting.

I bought a book on dry suit diving and went out to the pool testing. I did several very easy dives, practiced various procedures. I canceled the class after about 20 dives on the suit.

I took the suit with me to the Bahamas. Not a bit cold, even after several hours in the water.

I probably could dive the suit all year long. Might be a bit uncomfortable during surface intervals on the boat.

Peter

TropicalDiver,
You may want to check out some of the tropical weight drysuits that are coming on the market. Don't know and haven't heard any coments. I know White's has them. They may be designed with you in mind.
Dive Safe.
Larry

lal7176 once bubbled...
Do not buy a waterski type of drysuit for diving ...

I agree with lal, for the price of a waterski wetsuit you can get a semi-dry. Leisurepro and divedepot carry Mares Isotherms. Even the tropical drysuits are big bucks, especially if you are not going to use one all year.

A lot of folks in the Panhandle & Gulf side have drysuits so they can dive year round. Ocean side a drysuit may be a little overkill.
A decent semi-dry/wet suit is probably your best option, & slap a hooded vest on while you're at it.
Forget about brand names & go with whatever fits the best. There are some pretty decent suits out there for well under $200.

Thanks for all the advice. It certainly helped me knowing that other people are in the same "boat" as me and that a real drysuit is probably not a real solution - though it MAY end up going that way... What is the difference between a semi-dry and a regular suit? Just can't picture it mentally - have a wetsuit that fits and adheres well so not much water movement (Henderson gold sticks to skin after 25 or so dives unless you really try to get water in!). Where are the seals? or what is it that makes it semi-dry? Thanks in advance for any input - again, I'm fairly clueless in this department and any help is appreciated!!

I purchased a drysuit early this year and went out over the weekend for two days diving with a buddy who is a tech diver - he taught me the ropes. A great book to get is "DRYSUIT DIVING" - A Guide to Diving Dry by Barsky, Long & Stinton. I believe its out of print - but I found a used copy on www.abebooks.com for a few dollars.

I read it about 10x, and studied the techniques and I as glad I didn't drop $200 on a course. Nothing to it...its not that difficult to get out of an inverted position if it happens, and after a couple of dives it felt as good as my wetsuit - only warmer!

If you have access to a in ground pool, go do some time and practice the techniques the books discuss. Its pretty easy, really...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom