Help Planning Trip to Philippine Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To those of you who went diving this week "you dog, you" :) Sounds like the water is cooler than the Caribbean, but warm enough for me to do a worn out full 3mm with a 5mm hood/3mm chicken vest. That is my usual setup when the temp goes below 27.

Any details on dive shops, places to stay, ATM availability etc would be appreciated. Target date to leave the USA is the first week of May.

-Ron (LW)

one of the perks here in the PI. :) Just looked at my dive watch and the temp was 26C in the morning and 27C in the afternoon. The air temp was 31-32C.

There are plenty of shops down in PG. Here's a current thread right now:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/philippine-paradise-divers/225757-diving-puerto-galera.html

As for places to stay, you can get a really nice villa, or a cheap room / cottage. Depends on what you're looking for.

There's no ATM in PG, so get your cash in Manila.

Lead, it really depends on what you are looking for. Big dive resort? Small personalised dive shop? Are you looking to take courses? Recreational diving and/or technical diving? Are you going to be renting gear? There really are lots of options and many of the folk here will give you good recommendations!

For my part, I can only recommend the dive shop I did my DM internship with, the Divedojo. It's small and personalised (they can acomodate around 10 divers I believe).They can teach anything from Bubblemaker to semi-closed rebreather. They'll take you to do the type of diving you want to do (you just need to tell them what you want), as long as it is within your abilities and the conditions permit (the currents at some sites can be wicked on an ebbing tide!). For an example, I did several night dives on the Alma Jane wreck while I was there. It's a great wreck dive during the day, but at night, it is fabulous. And they are one of the only (if not THE only) shop that does that dive at night.

They aren't the cheapest in Sabang, but they are a relatively new shop (1.5 years) that was built with "only the best" in mind. All their gear, filling station and setup is top of the line. The rentals are brand newand high end. When you rent, they throw in a dive computer. The schoolroom has computers and a giant screen with DVD. They have an Italian Esspresso machine for free coffee (the best on the beach!:coffee:), they have free wireless internet, and free drinks (Bottled water, tea, coffee and soda during the day, and after the last dive, beer and other good stuff). Plus, they are a great crazy fun bunch of divers that love what they do. When you factor all that in, they aren't that expensive anymore.

This said, they aren't the only dive operation in Sabang and depending on what you are looking for, they, or another operation will fit your needs! let us know what type of operation (or experience) you are looking for, and people here will gladly try to help steer you to a good place for you!

Oh yeah, about ATM machines... there aren't any (as Chip said). But there is a Tourist change center which will let you take out Pesos on your credit cards. That's the way I did it while there...

Hope this helps a bit!:coffee:

Ya think the boy had a good time at the DIVE DOJO!?!?!?! CODMAN is spot on...

Oh, Lead... I forgot to add... I am completely biased!!!!:eyebrow::eyebrow:

I had such a great time at the dojo and the people are so great, that I am surely going to be giving flattering comments on the place! :popcorn: Still, everything I described is true and factual (I don't invent or exagerate things; I'm a scientist...:rofl3:), but are seen through the eyes of someone who had the best time ever and made great friendships. This said, I honnestly think that is the best (or at least one of the best) little dive shops in Sabang. It's one "well set up" dive operation with really great people running it! If you choose to dive with soemone else, at least pop by and say hi! They'll give you a tour of the place and a good cup of coffe just because that's the way they are!

Anyways, as I said in the last post, let us know a bit about what you are looking for and what type of diving you are interested in and I'm sure you'll get many good options thrown at you!:coffee:

Do the dive shops and other businesses take $US travelers checks? Taking cash on a credit card sounds like a cash advance, and the US fees are very high for that.

What's with these silly chick avatars?

US travelers checks are not accepted everywhere. Either use credit cards or use cash. What the hell is up with the HOT CHICKS avatar garbage?????

It looks like the chicks are gone now! What the heck was that all about???:rofl3:

Lead, yes the credit card is a cash advance. My personal credit card had a special low interest option for cash advances, so it wasn't a problem for me. Honnestly, unless you are staying with a big resort, forget about the travelers checks (and even if you are, ask them in advance).

As for cash, there are ATM machines at the airport and in Batangas, but that still doesn't make getting cash very easy (taking a ferry to Batangas ruins your day of diving!!!:shakehead:). Some of the dive operations take credit cards directly (once again, ask). I know Divedojo does and they are probably the only place that doesn't bill you the credit card surcharge. They do collect any and all taxes though (they are very by the book about their business).

If you can find a way that cash advances on your credit card aren,t too expensive, that is definetly the way to go (Oh yeah, the travel bureau charges 6-7% for this service; it's their service charge...). Better that carrying 50 000 pesons around on you!!:coffee:

HOT CHICKS ARE BACK!! I wonder if they are really chicks?....or hot?.....hmmm
Mommy, Mommy make the bad HOT CHICKS go away!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom