Help Planning Trip to Philippine Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you can find a way that cash advances on your credit card aren,t too expensive, that is definetly the way to go.

No cash advance fees apply to debit cards. Still have to pay currency conversion, local ATM fee, etc. But keeping a home bank account with funds and taking cash out on a debit card is a great way around cash advance finance charges.

Kupu, I didn't really ask, but I got the impression that using your debit card at the trourist office in Sabang wasn't an option. And there are no ATM machines there... This said, I might be wrong...
An ATM machine in Sabang would make great business sense! Only problem would be the regular power outings. I don't know how that would affect the ATM machines...

Cheers!:coffee:

No cash advance fees apply to debit cards. Still have to pay currency conversion, local ATM fee, etc. But keeping a home bank account with funds and taking cash out on a debit card is a great way around cash advance finance charges.

Good point. I was simply meaning that when ATMs are around, withdrawing money on debit cards vs credit cards costs less. I usually pay my dive shop bills on the credit card, if the surcharge is not too bad. And when in bigger towns use my debit card to get cash funds.

THe credit card surcharge is illegal. This is a topic we have discussed several times before. Sounds like it has reared its ugly head.....FIGHT THE SURCHARGE!

We just came back from Cabilao Island on Tuesday and it is much better than Alona where we spent a couple days with the kids. The diving can be as challenging as you want it to be and there are almost deserted beaches to roam. A lot of day boats make the 2 hour trip from Cebu or Alona to dive there.
Diving Philippines - Polaris Beach and Dive Resort, Cabilao Island, Bohol | Olango Island, Cebu
There are some threads here about diving there, just search Cabilao for reports and photos.

@Chip: I brought back your 3mm from Polaris and I have it here in Bulacan.

Kupu, I didn't really ask, but I got the impression that using your debit card at the trourist office in Sabang wasn't an option. And there are no ATM machines there... This said, I might be wrong...
An ATM machine in Sabang would make great business sense! Only problem would be the regular power outings. I don't know how that would affect the ATM machines...

Cheers!:coffee:

I think there is an ATM at the new bank but if not, just pick up some cash in Batangas on the way. The driver will stop for you.

That's an option for some. But by debit cards limit me to 1000$ a day, and some ATM machines in the Philippines limit you to 10000 pesos. I needed a lot of cash (since I stayed 5 weeks) so I would have needed to make several trips to batangas for this. There was no limit to withdrawals on my credit card at the tourist office.

ANyway it works for you is fine! Just plan in advance and make sure the way you do it it will work for you (no bad surprises). I had brought 20000 pesos with me on the plane, since I didn't know is was going to be able to get cash easily there... I didn,t know you were not allowed to bring that amount into the country!!!!:11::11::11:

I think there is an ATM at the new bank but if not, just pick up some cash in Batangas on the way. The driver will stop for you.

I was in PG a couple of weeks ago and there is still no ATM there. Our dive shop - Action Divers (which I'd definitely recommend) - took only cash, while our hotel - El Galleon - added an additional charge for debit or credit card. Definitely illegal, but they all seem to be doing it as far as I can see.

If you do pick up cash in Batangas, make sure you bring a little more than you think you need. I ended up having to change odds and ends of currency (US dollars, sterling, HK dollars) just to afford some breakfast and the 200 peso ferry back to Batangas! I hadn't heard about the option of getting cash from the tourist office.

I really can't believe that there is no ATM in PG, one of the country's major tourist centres. They even have one on Alona Beach now so why not PG?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom