Help Planning Rig Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fred covers a good topic - wildlife. I've never run into a shark on the rigs, but the 'cuda are plentiful, and things can get a little bit harrowing if you've got any spearfishers on board.

Those things come in out of nowhere and you can turn around and be eyeball to eyeball with one. Not good. Don't wear anything shiny (jewelry, etc.) either.

Thanks again to everyone who replied with their advice and great stories too! I had no idea there were fish that large out there :) !

Also, my apologies to Aggie Diver for hijacking the thread from the original topic - I really should have started a new thread for my questions. But, nonetheless, I sincerely appreciate all of the replies that this thread has collected!

-=* Mikki *=-

Yeah, you did kinda commandeer this thread (like that's a big deal). But you did bring out something that's common among divers (I hope for most of us anyway).

Everyone jumped in to help.

Aggie Diver:
Fred covers a good topic - wildlife. I've never run into a shark on the rigs, but the 'cuda are plentiful, and things can get a little bit harrowing if you've got any spearfishers on board.

Those things come in out of nowhere and you can turn around and be eyeball to eyeball with one. Not good. Don't wear anything shiny (jewelry, etc.) either.

Pretty good advise, Aggie Diver. Shiney stuff is asking for it. There were two people hit last August at the Flower Gardens by barracudas. Same night, two different boats. No lacerations, just huge hematomas. Hits were in the body and shoulder areas, probable target....stainless D-rings. Equipment prevented lacerations. And yes, they can severly injure a diver.

Regards,

I even had one following me around in the Bahamas due to the metallic silver on my fins. Shoulda bought yellow...

Oh great... I have the metallicy Tusa Platina Plus fins... :) Wonder how LDS exchange policy is? :)

Seriously, is this a real concern?

-=* Mikki *=-

I've got the silver atomic aquatics. I wouldn't be overly concerned, but just be aware of your surroundings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom